Avelo Adds First Flights From New Haven Base

Breeze at least has the advantage of getting planes with a near proper business class in 3 months that will start longer routes. Avelo doesn’t.

1 Like

Well it was just an example. Maybe take Hartford to Colombus.

That’s actually a really good point and I’m glad you brought that up. It will still be an interesting one to watch!!

I hope so too, I’m sure there is a reasoning behind all the routes but that is something reserved for Neeleman’s head (and his employees).

1 Like

Yes good point, it would also be nice if they catered to people coming to LA for vacation and not just those who live in LA going to those places.

What Rocco said here is something that I agree here. Avelo will probably step it’s game up with the New Haven routes to Florida.

1 Like

We could likely see flights to MCO, PBI, Key West, etc…

1 Like

I’m thinking MCO TPA FLL all daily and PBI/RSW either daily or 4x weekly

1 Like

When MCO comes to mind, think of theme parks. MCO has lots of demand.

2 Likes

While Key West would be REALLY interesting, I don’t see it with both ends having stupidly short runways for a 737.

I just have hope in the fact that Neelman knows what he’s doing, no one thought Jetblue would work and hey, look what happened. The amenities they have planned for the A220 (such as WiFi, entertainment, and proper snacks/food) will really help step up their game.

Also this is Avelo we’re talking about, why is everyone jumping to airports like MCO or TPA when they fly to places like BUR and AZA over LAX and PHX? I could see them doing airports like SFB or PIE for example.

1 Like

I mean, A319s fly there sooo….

But yeah would be super interesting

1 Like

From airports with longer runways. I remember over the years flying Delta out of Key West on the 737-700 and they wouldn’t let the plane be completely full for weight on takeoff. Granted, EYW has had some slight runway extensions over the years, and rumor was Avelo’s -700s might be ones with enhanced takeoff kits. Filling an all economy -700 out of EYW to HVN probably can’t takeoff full.

Not sure how Allegiant is doing with load out of EYW to compare it to. At least AA’s 319s have business class and aren’t as tight to lower seat count.

2 Likes

And you know those 737-700s for Avelo will be packed to the brim. Key West may it be an option, especially considering that the airport is already packed.

The way I see this airline is if Allegiant had a mini subsidiary airline.

It’s more of a family travel airline then an airline you’d use to go for a vacation (other then a couple of routes). They need to find a way to fly to cities with a higher demand for travel. Santa Rosa for example is a great route, it’s the heart of the wine country. My family had already planned to eventually take Avelo there. The low fares are really attracting to drive just a couple hours from where I live in SoCal to Burbank Airport. But tbh, that’s one of their only routes that I could see a higher demand for.

HND Airport (Henderson Executive in Las Vegas) is planning to take commercial traffic in the next few years or so. Something like that would be a great option since the cost to fly there (for the airline) would be cheaper then flying to LAS and it’s still located 20 minutes from the Las Vegas Strip. It’ll attract many tourist travelers with the low $19 fares too. But at this point i’m being bias as Vegas was my hometown for a few years 😂

3 Likes

Well considering Andrew Levy (Avelo CEO) use to be an executive at Allegiant when they went through the phase of becoming big at secondary airports, this isn’t exactly a surprise😂

2 Likes

I know nobody associated with Walmart here. This is allegiant-quality route scouting. David Neelman did a dumb

3 Likes

(Breeze doesn’t fly XNA-SDF)

3 Likes

As much as I hope for the airline to work out in the future…it’s somewhat possible that the Airline will see less and less passengers as the year goes forward. Not only that, but I feel like they were too confident in themselves when they launched. They started during the pandemic, which we all know is literally the hardest time for airlines. But again, I like Avelo and wish them the best of luck in the future.

1 Like

I think another issue is Avelo tried to create a market that wasn’t really there. For example, only 20 people a day (on average) we’re flying from the LA area to Grand Junction. You can’t make 150 more people a day fly there to fill a packed 738. I’d love to know what they were thinking was going to happen there.

2 Likes

Not sure where you heard only 20 people a day are flying from LA to GJT? There’s gotta be more than that.

Avelo is getting some passengers though, so far the upcoming BUR-GJT flight on Sunday has 60 passengers booked and GJT-BUR has 62.

Avelo’s BUR-AZA is booked alright, 99 passengers on tomorrow’s flight. Return flight has about 40 booked, not great. I’m sure Avelo would have liked to maintain Phoenix, but they’re getting attacked by matching fares from American, Southwest, and now Frontier.

2 Likes

It was just an example to say that the demand is low, they are still only about half full.

1 Like

Sorry I read that slightly wrong, in 2019, on average, 20 people flew from LAX to GJT as said by the DOT. Sorry, misread that a little.

1 Like