Avalon Airshow 2017

Some shots from today’s programme. There are too many for one thread, so here are just some of the favourites

Super Constellation overflying the airfield during her handling display. One of only two remaining flying examples in the world.

…and backtracking along the runway to her parking spot on completion

Southern Knights performing some formation figures in their T-6s

Super Decathlon (took the pictures mainly for the Infinite Flight connection :) )

Wedgetail AEW departing to take part in the ADF showcase session

…followed by 2 Hornets

The F-35 was an unexpected guest that was announced as a last-minute performer. My last visit to the show was back in 2011 and at the time there was just an F-35 mockup on static display - nice to see a flying example in action. The thing is damn loud and very powerful, especially for a single-engine aircraft.

Australian C-17 coming in for a simulated assault landing

BAe Hawk 127 Lead-In Fighter of the RAAF being serviced

An-124 of the Russian Volga-Dnepr freight company. Absolute beast of a plane. Another one that wasn’t expected, - it delivered the Apache helicopters to the show. Sadly no admissions inside, or even any basic information for the crowd, but it spoke for itself really. The huge wings also served as a sunblock for a good few people hiding under it.

Connie returned to the public in the form of a static display that you could go inside and visit. Sadly by this point we’ve had about enough of the sun and were heading home, so the enormous line was a show-stopper. Still, a nice shot that shows its popularity with the crowds :) [Singapore Air Force’s F-15 and KC-135 in the background to the left; a Qantas 737 in the retro livery directly behind it]

To round off the first batch, the An-2: crop duster, utility, communications, mail aircraft and other uses too numerous to mention. This example was bought from Poland, and is currently the only flying example in Australia. It also offers joyflights (though I don’t believe at the airshow itself). The photo is mostly out of disbelief that such a thing still exists, let alone flies. The first flight of the design was over five decades ago…

31 Likes

Beautiful photo’s and great descriptions.

3 Likes

Lovely photos! Thanks for sharing it with us 😆

Thank you :) Glad you like them!

Great photos there! Very nice!

1 Like

Nice photos and thanks for sharing with us!

1 Like

Question did you get to see one of the two new growlers while you were there. And I believe that Connie came from HARS at Wollongong. Anyway nice pics and wish I could be there mainly because I was happy to see that the RAAF F-35’s were arriving but I can’t go

Unfortunately not, - didn’t spend much time on static displays. Closest thing was the Super Hornet flying display at the beginning. Probably my favourite part of today, actually.

1 Like

We have a Connie here at KSLN that is used for firefighting training… sad that these mighty aircraft are retired…

1 Like

Nice pictures! I love going to air shows or seeing what other people have seen at air shows.

1 Like

Shame I didn’t catch ya taking the pics, I found the air show incredible apart from the parking organization but amazing!

Perfect weather for the event.

1 Like

Yeah the weather was amazing. Last time I was there it was cloudy and windy (though made for some nice backdrops). Should organise a Melbourne forum catch-up for the next show :)

2 Likes

Great spotting! I myself need to get out to see an airshie too.

1 Like

Some more images - these were all on static display and taken from my phone rather than the camera, so they’re more ‘shots of opportunity’.

In no particular order - the B-1B nose gear assembly and internal bays, the C-130H that made up the rest of the Singapore’s contingent this year (notable for the camo paint job in contrast with the dark grays of Australia and New Zealand and the bright colours of some commercial examples); the exposed cowls of the Retro Roo 737; And also the Cirrus SR-22. It’s one of my favourite planes in Infinite Flight so seeing it in person I couldn’t resist taking a quick shot.

Last but not least, the An-124 unloading its original cargo. One exception from the lot as that shot is made by my friend, and reposted with his permission. Sharing for the open nose cargo door :)

3 Likes

Very nice pics thanks for adding descriptions too👍🏻

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.