Autopilot flies wrong route

I was doing a flight from Miami and I turned on the navigation autopilot to follow the waypoints on my short flight to Tampa, about 15 min after takeoff I went to go to the bathroom and get food and when I came back the plane was flying back over Miami where I left from, anybody know why? Thanks!

2 Likes

Most likely there was a waypoint you didn’t “hit” during your departure, and so the autopilot thought that a waypoint behind it was the next one. To avoid this I would recommend closely following your FPL, and deleting any parts you deviated from…

7 Likes

This most likely happened because A/P missed one of the waypoints, so it kept doing 360s to try to intercept the waypoint.

4 Likes

I think what can happen is that the ap actually missies the waypoint and it has to circle back around to go to the waypoint

2 Likes

This should be in #support

Yes, this happens to me. You have a flight plan, tun on NAV, (once in the air) sometimes as you turn a new heading the A/P will keep doing 360s. You have to re-do the plan which is really annoying. Not a major issue - hardly ever happens

1 Like

Or open the FPL section, select the next waypoint and press ACT LEG.

4 Likes

The issue is that the autopilot doesn’t activate the next FPL waypoint leg until about 5-20 seconds before hitting it. It should really change earlier dependent on the speed of the airplane and the angle of the next leg. Because the turn takes so long as you travel faster, you end up being outside of the “activation range” for the next leg. Then you just get this annoying and constant overcorrection which can ruin the rest of the flight until you notice it and self-correct it.

1 Like