Autopilot disengaged as plane flies over South Pole

1) Background to the photos

When I flew over the south pole, the autopilot was disengaged. I’m not sure if this is a bug.

The autopilot was using magnetic course, which should not have a sudden change at the south pole. So, I don’t know why the autopilot was disengaged due to some sudden input change.

2) Detailed Flight Information including servers, time, route

Training server. 2020-02-17 06:00 UTC. Route: SCEL - NZSP - Geographical south pole.

3) Photos

Hello!

This is a known issue.
The autopilot goes bananas at the poles.

8 Likes

Random question: does it have to do with magnetic heading when getting to the poles?

I don’t recall the root cause to be honest. Only that the solution to it wasn’t really as easy as one might think.

3 Likes

Intriguing because I tried KEWR-WSSS and flew right over the North Pole (no Santa Claus unfortunately) and my autopilot was just fine. Describe bananas @schyllberg

Seb means this.

4 Likes

Well, obviously but how bananas was the autopilot going?

554d3355e9f585326e1338d33774e350

About this much :)

No seriously though, it does go pretty crazy, when i tried the south pole, the plane pitched up and then stalled because of the sudden increase in the AOA, so rip that

5 Likes

We’ve gone so off topic that we are just talking about bananas now.

Is it becuase the fpl as it passes over the pole, the magnetic heading suddenly flips, causing the AP to get confused and attempt to suddenly fight against two inputs of data?

XpJcr78

3 Likes

Let’s take this into a different topic, because this is really “peeling” away from the original point. ba dum tiss

Don’t want to slide into trouble 😬

roflmao good one

cool