Automatic Gate/Terminal Selection

Hi IFC, as I’m sure many you are aware of or could relate to flying realistically in this simulator can bring great joy and satisfaction. Don’t get me wrong there is absolutely nothing wrong with not doing so as many of you enjoy flying this way, though this is for those of the community like myself aiming to achieve a more realistic flying experience.

An idea that I have personally come up with, that I believe could or should be added in future updates, is ‘automatic gate selection’. At the moment when preparing for a flight selecting an airport to takeoff/depart from takes you to a random gate in a random terminal (that is usually a suitable size for your aircraft). However this is very unrealistic because it does not necessarily select the correct gate or terminal that your airline or desired route would use to board passengers and take on luggage/freight from.

For example if you were flying a route from KSFO to PHNL with United, automatic gate selection could automatically spawn your aircraft at San Francisco’s domestic terminal 3 (served by United), rather than a random location in that airport. How would the simulator know if you’re route is international or domestic? Well, an option asking to include your desired route from _ _ _ to _ _ _ could be implemented, or another option such as one simply asking if you’re route is international or domestic could be used.

*disclaimer I’m not 100% sure if this would be possible or desired by the community, though please let me know what you think of this suggested Infinite Flight feature. Thank you. :)

Or you could just manually select which gate you want to spawn at…

3 Likes

You got the terminals down but what about the gates?

I’m not sure if we need this yet. It’s a mini feature but I’m it sure if we absolutely need it.

1 Like

Yes, but this can be a hassle for some and others don’t necessarily want to take the time to find the correct gate/terminal used for their flight.

This is for gates and terminals, I may have worded it wrong.

I know but it takes 3 extra seconds to find a gate

1 Like

But you know this could be a tiny feature they add because they don’t just add 1 thing every update.

Exactly, though not everyone knows which terminal or gate is used for international and domestic flights for their airline and desired route in certain airports. You don’t have to agree with my idea that’s why I wrote a disclaimer, I just thought it might be something the community would be interested in for future updates. :)

3 Likes

Yes well it would be a tiny feature in another update.

1 Like

I get it. Good idea.

1 Like

Thank you.

I like this idea, but on the other end of it.
We can currently pick gates when we spawn which is great. However we can’t choose gates once we spawn in at our arrival airport. This could be a fun and realistic way of adding it to the flight plan (because pilots know what gate their going to in real life unless switched by ground) it would be nice to be able to pick the gate we are arriving to as well and this would also help atc with guidance on incoming arrivals. For instance a flight plan could be the departure, waypoints, arrival, APPR, airport code, then gate number. Something I’ve personally thought would add realism especially now that we know gates and terminals are coming.

I’m out of votes but I highly back you this idea to be implemented after terminals and jetways are in place.

2 Likes

Sorry I meant to say land at our arrival airport not spawn in

1 Like

I think it is more suitableble in expert to keep realistic.

2 Likes

This could definitely be an expert server only type deal. Since those on expert want the most amount of realism I would assume. It could also be a violation to say take a southwest gate by a United aircraft for example. In the expert server ofcourse

1 Like

still you can use ex. flightradar24 to find where the planes park and spawn at the gate your route was at IRL.

1 Like

Yes however we are asking gates to be integrated after terminals and jetways 😊

1 Like

Actually, pilots don’t where they will be parking at the destination prior to departure. Usually you find out in cruise I think. But yeah that might be a nice feature.

Personally, I think that is taking it a bit far. Even PC networks don’t enforce stuff like that. Also, yes it doesn’t happen all the time, but it could happen that a SWA aircraft used a United gate IRL, it does happen occasionally I think.

As a general comment, how would IF get the data on which airline parks what plan at each airport? What about if it changes IRL? What if someone wants to do a historic flight?

1 Like

Good point! It was just an idea. Denver I know Is currently being worked on and they’ve changed up gates due to parts of terminals being under construction. The B gates in Denver are strictly United. However they also use A and C. A is southwest. C is delta and American and everyone else. And yea I’m not an airl in captain yet but have heard of pilots getting their gate changed before decent. With gate numbers ATC could still assign gates upon arrival which would still help the flow

1 Like