Autoland is like a cheat?

Autoland is like a cheat in other games? Sometimes helpful, certainly. Beats me. Or how do you think? (That’s not a criticism of the use it)

2 Likes

Autoland is vital. I handfly as much as possible but I was glad that day we have autoland. Passengers even clapped ( ;D) at the end and mission was safely executed. :D

3 Likes

That is perfectly okay. I’m interested only how you see that.

1 Like

Why the question? Two hours ago I landed in Miami, 28 Knt. Wind. A challenge. I just turned on the runway. As it would have been with with Autoland? I dont know.

whats appr? i don’t see that on my iPad/

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

1 Like

I’m pretty sure 24kts winds is beyond what the autopilot can safely land with

There are two possible reasons:

1. You don’t have the latest update
  2. You don’t have the BBJ-1. Currently, Autoland is only on the BBJ-1, it will be on the A318/A319/A320/A321 when they are released (I believe Matt commented that he was testing the Autoland on the Batik Air A320-200)
1 Like

1 Like

I personally don’t think it is a cheat. After all Autoland is a real fixture on a planes:

It sure makes landing easy though, if that is what you are alluding to

3 Likes

I just said there is autoland on Boeing planes, the BBJ-1…

It’s not a “cheat”, as it is a form of assistance. The Auto-Land or APPR system is a real world function of many airliners at many airports around the world.
The BBJ is currently the only aircraft with this capability in Infinite Flight. More to come. It’s no small thing to add to any aircraft, and is actually quite complex. So adding it to all aircraft at one time is not practical, but it’ll be done in steps.
Personally, I prefer landing by hand, as many pilots including real world pilots prefer. It’s not required and using it or not is entirely up to the pilot. Admittedly, I used to frown upon the concept of performing an automated landing, but after spending months testing it, I’ve found it has its moments where it is very useful and satisfying.

4 Likes

I agree, it is actually in the 737 in most models, and plus you can chose whether you use it or not.

This is one of the best videos I’ve seen on real life application of auto land. Excuse the quick appearance of Santa clause, I believe it was taken at Christmas.

2 Likes

Nice smooth landing too!

Planes are way to complex and computerised these days, the auto land is a ticking time bomb in my opinion, there will be a day where an airliner is using auto land 100 feet from touchdown and something will malfunction, by the time the pilots have time to react and manually take over the plane will already have slammed into the runway in flames. I think if pilots can’t bring a plane down manually due to weather or whatever it may be then divert somewhere else.

It never sais they wanted to make an autoland if I am correct, the autothrottle was faulty because of the radio altimeter. Autothrottle (autothrusht on airbus) is mainly used until touchdown when the pilot pulls the reversers. This is not an autoland, you talk about an autoland when the onboard computers land the airplane.

In real life we use autoland mainly for low visibility approaches only, why take one the most fun part away from flying??