Auto pilot

Whenever I turn on auto pilot why does my plane bounce up and down?

Your settings aren’t right to engage auto pilot. Either trim isn’t right your climbing or defending to fast or your speed is incorrect all these will contribute to the plane doing that.

2 Likes

Please explain how to do it correctly

It varies per aircraft but the yoke should be neutral when activating auto pilot. Try setting the trim to 10 or 15 and then set it and it should help also I climb at 250 kts @ 10 degrees it doesn’t seem to do that to me anymore since I’ve set it this way

Okay thank you.

You need to make sure the the nose of your aircraft which is indicated by the little - v- of your altitude indicator is centered in your FPV, the little circle inside your HUD.

1 Like

Though these suggestions are correct, I often engage AP while climbing, so it’s difficult to CENTER the yoke. I usually increase trim to 30% push the nose forwards slightly and engage VS first. Then set HDG and SPD to follow. It take practice but it’s a relief when you nail it.

Hope this helps

2 Likes

Can you explain a little more please I would love to know more " -v-" and fvp.

1 Like

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

1 Like

Okay is did a little better any other suggestions.

1 Like

You can engage while climbing but the trim needs to be set right in order for the plane not to porpuse.

1 Like

So engage to about 30 trim.

1 Like

I do engage while climbing, but I don’t CENTER the nose and then engage and set vs. I like to set AP whilst actually climbing to cruise altitude :)

1 Like

I didn’t say center the nose so your level I said the yoke has to be neutral so your not really pulling back on it very hard.

1 Like

You can turn it on without setting trim you just have to make sure you have a stable VS. Say you climb at 2000FPM, just do your best to maintain 2000 (or whatever you climb at) and don’t make any dramatic changes or movements on your device then hit the VS and it will arm and not bounce up and down. If you climb and make huge changes and your goal is to climb at 2000FPM but when you go to push the VS you bounce down to say 800FPM then hit VS that dramatic change in VS will cause the plane to bounce because it’s climbing at such a high rate and you basically just told the plane to disregard what your doing and climb at 800. That would be an awesome moment of experiencing zero G’s which is always a good time. I actually have a video of me doing backflips while floating in the air in the back of a C-130J during some zero G maneuvers. Anyways, I usually set my VS during takeoff once I’ve reached a stable climb then once my AP is on for VS I slide my altitude to what i want and then turn it on. Just make sure you haven’t passed the set altitude you want or else once you arm ALT your aircraft will jump to a negative VS. This obviously isn’t the only way you can avoid that bounce you’re talking about and you can set the trim as a method for your toolbox, but it’s a way that works for me regarding IF. Anyone have any standards as far as how commercial airliners set AP or which order they’re turned on?

1 Like

Was more orientated towards Thomas about centering the FPV, was confused.

1 Like

@Xjayrod1999

Instead of trying to explain it, I decided to make a video :)

(On the 737-800, the bottom of the - v- has to touch the top of the FPV to avoid the bounce)

4 Likes

Thank you for taking your time to do this

2 Likes

it would be cool when you disengage the auto-pilot that you hear that sound it makes in the cockpit…just saying…

You are kind of necroposting