Auto Gate Assignment at Arrival Airport

I tend to have a hard time choosing the right gate when I arrive at an airport

2 Likes

I have to like Google what terminal a certain airline uses then I have to look at the map and look at Google maps I have the same problem as you this feature would really help us

2 Likes

I really like this idea. This definitely adds to realism. It should be like when ATC assigns someone a gate, the game either makes people spawning on those gates invisible, or block people from spawning on those gates altogether.

3 Likes

It should definitely be the pilot and not the ATC or some kind of AI that decides on the gate.
That being said, it would be a good idea to be able to claim a gate right after landing to avoid conflicts (perhaps using the map screen).

2 Likes

I would prefer them blocking ppl so they don’t spawn on top! Like so many times i have filed a plan and ready for pushback and someone comes along and spawns on top of me and ruins everything and they don’t leave which makes it worse!

1 Like

In my interpretation a simplistic fix for realism would just to name the gates (if it were a southwest gate exclusively (example: KOAK)) they could put a “Southwest gate 12” when selecting a spawn. That’s just an idea for spawn realism. this could solve many things (example being at KSFO fly in an A320 spawned at the intl gate. It could named international gate 5 as a fix

1 Like

I agree with that but here’s the issue with that @Captain_Willery,

what happens if that airlines gate ex. Southwest leaves that gate and ex. United takes over it. Gate changes between airlines happen all the time, they either when they leave the airport, or they just don’t think having that many slots at one airport.

It’s extremely hard to even find that research on your on for an airport let alone every single one in the world!

1 Like

Good point I see that it is a very tricky endeavor to make gate assignments a revised idea was to do what they did at KLAX. By that I mean using words like “Tom Bradley international terminal” for larger airports to stop B737’s and small aircraft from taking those spots.

2 Likes

I just read this topic, and it came to me, what if when pilots are preparing for departure and filing their flight plan for their destination, they choose the gate of their choice, then once they arrive at their destination, they request taxi to gate X and it appears on their map showing the way

2 Likes

yea. same. I once had to circle around a whole entire airport that I was new to because I didn’t know where I was going.

1 Like

Yeah and sometimes I find myself parking a 737 at a gate for a 747… XD

SAME!!! Even Though I find what terminal I’m going to, I end up at a gate WAY to small for me.
idk y. I’m a huge dummy

1 Like

I’m the opposite of that

1 Like

yes. I like that @Captain_Willery

Gate assignments are the European way of doing things, as most gates are common use on that side of the pond.

In the US, airlines generally lease (domestic) gates, and thus the company organizes their own gate allocations.

I think a better way would be to “claim” a gate, 20(?) min in advance, and that would mark that gate red on the map, until you either have despawned, or deselected it.

So upon landing when you request taxi, it automatically includes your gate number. Your map, and IFATC’s would indicate where you are parking, and the controller could then provide more accurate instructions.

1 Like

It would also be good if it designated it depending on the airline just for better realism. If the airline does not operate at that airport, maybe codeshare gates or charter gates if there is any.

Sadly, this is not possible at this time. The program used to design the airports (2D) does not have a feature that would allow us to draw black numbers on a yellow solid background.

it’s 3D btw

You have my vote

Actually enforcing this type of realism would go too far. There are people who do fictional flights.
Additionally, sometimes, an aircraft substitution would make gates not work. For example, if I use the Iberia A321 in place of an A330, the gate at the destination might not have a working jetbridge for an A321 when they become fully working in the future.

1 Like