Austin Airport landing incident killing one person thread

Austin Airport has confirmed that an individual was struck and killed by a landing aircraft this evening on RWY 17R. Upon landing, Southwest flight 1392 Reported that there ‘might have been a person on the runway.’ At this moment its unclear if a Southwest 737 struck the person or if that flight was just the first aircraft to see the person. RWY 17R/35L remains closed at this time.

More to come as this story develops.

Here is their twitter

15 Likes

@snoman @BadPlane check this out

2 Likes

Wow that’s so unfortunate! Weird they didn’t catch it before and sent the SW to go around.

3 Likes

@Suhas

3 Likes

Wow, what a freak accident, so sad.

1 Like

That’s awful! Who would just be out on the runway? But thoughts to the family of the person involved.

2 Likes

Any idea about what time this happened (in a time zone that makes sense, not Zulu 😂) itd be interesting to hear ATC recordings

1 Like

What? Oh my gosh, that’s so sad

Don’t have a time at this moment some time tonight though

1 Like

If the killer was truly Southwest 1392, then it happened an hour and 20 mins ago

5 Likes

Wow. My condolences go out to the family of the person killed. Such a tragic thing to go through in already troublesome times.

2 Likes

How did this even happen? How did they not see or hear the plane coming?

1 Like

Wow, that really sucks.
But how does one do that? It seems really hard to do… with all the security that we have around airports, i seriously doubt it was a freak accident. But best not to speculate. RIP

Not going play IFCNTSB - But be aware this could be a worker of the airport, a pilot, MX, a fueler, a trespasser etc.

2 Likes

According to this, the deceased person was not dressed as an airport worker and did not have ID.

Not wearing airport uniforms. That’s as per the Austin Police, so seems like a credible source. That certainly seems to implicate a trespasser type situation, but we’ll have to wait till they confirm that…

Huh, weird. Wonder how he got onto the airport grounds then…
Also, planes are a bit louder than some things… how did he/she not hear it?

1 Like

Damn, wonder how someone got onto the runway not in a car and without ATC knowing

This is very weird. I’m wondering if the person was depressed or suicidal

or see it.

I’m also kind of wondering how he/she didn’t know they were on the runway. Like big strip of whatever 17R is made out of, what else could it be?

2 Likes