Atlantic Crossing, The Venezuelan Way

Recently, myself and some others were digging deep to find some non generic retro routes that we could fly, and we stumbled across the DC10 routes of Aerovías Venezolanas Sociedad Anonima or just Avensa for short. So, I decided to do one of them as an overnighter along with @unicorn, @Igor_M, @Ryan_Gibb and @CaptainHugh.

Route Info:

Flight Number: AVE1004
Departure Airport: Caracas Símon Bolívar (SVMI) 🇻🇪
Arrival Airport: Santiago Rosalía de Castro (LEST) 🇪🇸
Aircraft Avensa
Flight Time: 7h 20m

The Photos:

Starting off we have a tail shot of us all at the gate. We honestly couldn’t have picked a better time to depart because the sunset was unreal 🤌

The first departure, which was @unicorn, banking out of Caracas with myself and @Igor_M holding short

Another angle of the stunning departure

After sleeping through the boring part of the flight, we woke up to a beautiful sunrise over North West Spain.

Bit of an experiment with angles, but I think it turned out well. Here’s a picture of @unicorn on final with me passing overhead

The last arrival coming into Santiago - @Igor_M Would have been Ryan but ofc he was still asleep

After our turnaround, we headed back to Caracas. Here’s a shot of @CaptainHugh banking out of Santiago

After around 16hr flight time in total, we were finally back approaching the Venezuelan coastline. If you look, you can even see Símon Bolívar Airport in the distance

The final shot, an absolute greaser by yours truly 😏 Unfortunately the same can’t be said for Hugh’s landing

Thank you for viewing!

It was an extremely fun group flight, and well worth the effort of finding the route. We decided to add the Avensa DC10 routes into our routes database, and they can be found under the Latin America section of This Sheet.

38 Likes

he be trying to land at 190kts…

3pmbif

2 Likes

My favourite part of the flight was taking off beside the huge mountains. Mainly cause I didn’t get to see anything else

2 Likes

I’m the landing god, just ask @Marc_Gallagher
Seriously though, amazing shots and an amazing route!

2 Likes

Not my fault the DC-10 has all the composure of a three legged rhino on final daniel 🙄🙄🙄

1 Like

I mean, at least you did land

cough ryan cough

3 Likes

Wow amazing pictures 🙌🏼😍

1 Like

Damn sexc photos as usual charleh
I also have to say the mountains on the Venezuelan coastline are absolutely stunning, one of favourite airports in the world for sure
It’s really fun not only flying a very unique route like this but also doing it as a group flight, enjoyed this so much

2 Likes

It is indeed one of the best airports, I’ll certainly be doing some more of these Avensa routes in the DC10

1 Like

charleehhhh when we doin Tenerife?

1 Like

I saw That some people try to land a plane at 200 knts qith the MD-11F
(it makes sence becuse they crash sometimes and overun sometime)

1 Like

👀

1 Like

Nice to see SVMI get some attention! I fly to and from there often in IF, a highly underrated airport

2 Likes

Yeah, it has to be one of my favourites now too. The mountains right beside the airport make it such an interesting place, especially on departure as shown in the pictures

2 Likes

It takes a minimum of 160 to get it down safely.

Well guess what buddy I did get it down safely 🤪

What was your speed on final?

Don’t remember