Athens Int. Airport - Your Guide

Athens Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport

EL-VENIZELOS

General Information

Athens Eleftherios Venizelos International Airport “Διεθνής Αερολιμένας Αθηνών Ελευθέριος Βενιζέλος” is the international commercial airport of the Greek capital Athens. It is the largest and most important airport in the country and was named after the former Greek Prime Minister Eleftherios Venizelos, who stood up for aviation in Greece. The airport also serves as a hub for Aegean Airlines and Olympic Air.

The airport has a very exceptional route network. It ranges from routes that are so short that they are VFR and not IFR, to long-haul flights to the USA, visits by the Emirates A380 and the Antonov 225. Furthermore, the airport was the largest infrastructure project in Greece’s modern history and the largest international airport project ever to be privately financed. In 2019, the airport broke through the 25 million passenger barrier for the first time.

Terminals and Gates

terminal

The airport has a main terminal and a satellite terminal. The main terminal handles schengen but also non schengen flights. The satellite building can be reached by a connection under the ground but is almost always served by bus. Unfortunately, its 10 jetways are not used, as they are not worthwhile at current capacity. Also there are some remote stands in the north and south of the airport. General Aviation is handled entirely in the north, cargo in the south.

Charts

charts

Charts are rarely flown in full length. The pre-filled heights at STAR’s are not the recommended heights, but the minimum altitudes. I can recommend deleting them. After departure it often happens that the radar atc gives a direct to the next waypoint after a certain altitude has been passed. Since the departure routes out of Athens are not based on RNAV (GPS) but VOR navigation, they are a bit tricky. Please do not turn immidiately once air born to follow your flight plan except using following method. I have reworked almost all departure routes myself as a custom flight plan with the official charts as a basis. These can be downloaded here and easily inserted into your flight plan.

LGAV - Custom SID

Runway 03L

KEA2L Departure.fpl (4,9 KB)
KRO1L Departure.fpl (2,9 KB)
KOR1L Departure.fpl (3,4 KB)

Runway 03R

KEA2T Departure.fpl (3,7 KB)
KRO2T Departure.fpl (2,6 KB)
KOR2T Departure .fpl (4,0 KB)

Runway 21L

KEA2F Departure .fpl (4,0 KB)
KRO1F Departure .fpl (4,3 KB)
KOR1F Departure .fpl (2,3 KB)

Runway 21R

KEA2G Departure .fpl (3,7 KB)
KRO1G Departure .fpl (4,0 KB)
KOR1G Departure.fpl (2,3 KB)

Where should I Park?

noice

Thanks for asking. This depends on your aircraft type and airline. On the photo you can see different parking sectors, which are explained below.

Red Area

The red area marks the Aegean maintenance hangar and the general aviation area. Small aircraft can park here.

Orange Area

This area is an area reserved for aircraft such as the ATR family and Dash Q800, which are mostly from Olympic Air or SkyExpress. The parking spaces are particularly limited by wingspan.

Yellow Area

The yellow area is structured like the area above, but aircraft such as the B757 and A321 can also park here, no larger. Low cost airlines do not park here.

Green Area

The main terminal handles all types of flights, especially long-haul and larger aircraft. Low cost airlines are very rarely seen here. Two large aircraft never park next to each other. Premium airlines always park here, with exceptions.

Blue Area

The satellite terminal is very complex. Everything is parked here between an A318 and a B747. On its north side, mainly the low cost airlines park, although there are exceptions here as well. On the south side, low-cost airlines also park, but here the exceptions of the main terminal come into play. Airlines such as Swiss, Lufthansa and Aegean also park here in rare cases.

Purple Area

This area is used by Greek airlines, but also shared with special flights. Thus, a state or military aircraft can also park here. Private aircraft such as B737s and B757s can also be seen here.

White Area

This area is for cargo of any class.

Runways

Its major features include two parallel runways. Both sides are equipped with an ILS. The airport has received approval for take-offs and landings of the biggest passenger jet worldwide, the A380. Both runways are particularly noticeable as they change from light asphalt to dark in the middle. Due to nearby residents, there are noice abatement procedures. Between 1200Z - 1500Z and 2000Z - 0400Z only runway 03L/21R is used. At all other times, only 03R/21L is used. Furthermore, intersection departures are highly recommended. In addition, each runway departure route has a different suffix which are used in real life.

Runway Suffix Example
03L L KEA2L
03R T BIBE2T
21L F KOR1F
21R G ATV1G

Both runways are longer than London Heathrow and are comparable to Frankfurt and Munich. Furthermore, they are almost exclusively equipped with speed exits, which makes exiting the runway particularly efficient.

Direction Length Surface
03R / 21L 4000m / 13123ft Asphalt
03L / 21R 3800m / 12467ft Asphalt

Q&A

Where can I divert?

Very much dependent on your aircraft size, your options are limited. If your aircraft is a B757 or smaller, you can choose almost any international airport nearby. However, if your aircraft is larger, the following airports could handle your aircraft in an emergency.

ICAO Name
LGTS Thessaloniki Makedonia
LGIR Iraklio Nikos Kazantzakis
LGSA Chania Ioannis Daskalogiannis

Generel Aviation

Generel Aviation is welcome at any airport in Greece.

Other question

If your question could not be answered here, feel free to send me a private message!

87 Likes

Great post! Can’t wait to be more realistic there with this in-depth tutorial! :)

3 Likes

I love this tutorial, and the format looks very nice as well! Great job on this.

8 Likes

Very well done! I also really like the SIDs you worked out, which include the common direct clearances often used, great work!

Also for anyone wondering if the area is scenic, I can definitely assure you it is absolutely amazing to fly into as is the entire area and country.

Thanks for taking your time to write this!

1 Like

Thank you all for the positive feedback! It was a lot of work, but in the end it was definitely worth it. I’m glad you like it!

4 Likes

Bookmarked! Will try and schedule an Athens flight in sometime soon to explore these procedures!

1 Like

I‘m glad to hear that mate! Some of the departure routes have some speed restrictions as well. I entered them into the waypoints name. Here’s an example. ( MAX230 )

Bild

3 Likes

Can I land an A380-800 in LGAV?

Sure. You can do this easily. LGAV has nothing less than other big intl airports.

NICE! Perfekt! Some good Infos for Landing.

1 Like

@Fung_Sum-sum I hope this answers your question :)

To add to this, Emirates flew the A380 for a while to Athens, if I’m not wrong.

@Kiz Yes! The A380 from Emirates comes regularly. In times of corona it changed, unfortunately.

1 Like

I love this tutorial, very well explained!
I will be flying to Athens more often! 😍❤️

1 Like

Those are satisfying curves!

Great tutorial, still haven’t flown here in IF, I’ll make sure to now!

2 Likes

An amazing tutorial, congratulations!

2 Likes

Wow thats great work 👍

1 Like

ill Be there soon!

1 Like

Wow amazing tutorial! I really love those custom SIDs!

Just wondering is there any resource or tutorial for editing fpl files?

1 Like

@CrazyBee @Renan @Almiost Thanks guys, really appreciate it! I hope you’ll be able to use very soon on you next Athens flight :)

@Anthony_Zhu Thanks as well! To create custom flightplans you need to edit a flightplan file. Waypoint coordinates must be changed to your wanted locations. Also you need to measure every distance between each point if you want to create precise flightplans or like in my case, charts. It takes quite some time and effort, especially as a beginner like me. To get started you need a text editor software. Hope this helps 😊

3 Likes