ATC Voice to Automated speech as we have now

Hello IFC,

I would think voice to speech would be a great addition to IF as it gives us the freedom on what to say and not just be limited to the buttons. Of course it would work with all languages and would filter out irresponsible language…

If this is already a topic please let me know and also if you have any other things to add on please feel free to reply:)
Lol who flagged?

This might change IF forever!

5 Likes

I cant really think of any situations where the ATC commands in-app are not sufficient. Care to provide examples?

3 Likes

More about the realism and not about specific situations as ATC will actually have to speak to give instructions and Pilots will have to respond. This will also make expert server more realistic

3 Likes

Say ATC uses voice to give a specific instructions not listed clearly in the button version. And the pilot doesn’t have a mic. How is the pilot going to respond?

You kind of have to think of both sides when requesting things like this. Not everyone has a mic they can utilize.

2 Likes

Isnt a mic built into the device?

2 Likes
2 Likes

I think this feature would be abused. Not only for the inappropriate language, but the sillyness people would say. You wont be able to trust everyone with it. There would have to be constant moderation

2 Likes

I like the buttons, I don’t like the idea of speaking on IF, as my voice sounds terrible being recorded or on a phone, etc. And some younger IF players might not be allowed to speak with others. If this was speaking and having a google voice, e.g. Daniel, speaking to ATC while the pilot uses their own voice, and vice versa.

3 Likes

Not everyone can, or will use their mic though.

1 Like

I have a strong Southern accent, which might lead to problems.

2 Likes

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 24 hours unless flagged)

2 Likes
2 Likes

What I’m saying is your voice gets translated into an automated voice as we have now… and it filters out all of the unnecessary stuff like irresponsible language

2 Likes

Oh, I get it now. Thanks for the conformation. This is a great idea.

2 Likes

Awesome idea, as with every idea it has its flaws, but, I think this is possible with time.

2 Likes

Just my opinion, this doesn’t seem like a very good idea as everything would be extremely delayed and once the area got extremely busy, the controller would be swamped and it’d be difficult for them to control and imo ruin the experience…

I’d just like to build on @Alphadog4646’s statement here. Our most experienced IFATC controllers can send commands in a second, if not less. Most people can barely speak a single word in that time. Now imagine having to speak out loud, using proper terminology. Considerably slower, right?

But wait. There’s more. Now consider it’s a super busy airspace like at EGLL, or during an FNF. You’re going to have about 10-15 planes on the ground and almost double that amount in the air, all needing commands to vector them towards final approach or clearance to taxi to a runway. That’s a lot of words, and a lot of time, being taken up by everybody speaking their commands. The poor controller, in turn, has to respond to each and every one of those commands, while still speaking out loud and using precise terminology. Factor in the time it takes to convert our speech into a mechanical voice, and you get an unbearable session for controllers and pilots alike.

It’s a good idea, in theory, and it could indeed increase the realism of the game. However, with the kind of traffic that any one airport could receive here in IF, speaking out loud would just cause more problems and ultimately fail. Don’t get me wrong, I think this is pretty cool, but the way I see it, it’s just not practical for our purposes.

7 Likes

that is very true. In real life they would have more than one person on each duty, so talking is easier IRL, so I see how this would be more difficult in infinite Flight

2 Likes

Yes i can agree with this… I see where you are coming from, this would be a good idea if we had even amounts of traffic and not just huge events but thats not IF so i can agree it would take forever to speak everything… but maybe there would be some way in the future ( like multiple controllers at one airport for the same frequency. as we have but like 3 or 4 instead of 2…) just making an idea… it probably wont workout but, just thought it would be cool haha

3 Likes