ATC Vectoring

What should I do when ATC expects me to descend 5,000 ft Immediately and than tells me not to exceed 220 knots. When I first starting playing the games I got an over speed violation when following the instructions of ATC in the same situation. This time I was following the STAR in my flight plan and in a lot of places this is important because of terrain. I’m trying to get better at this and learn. A lot of other things I’ve found only talk about receiving vectors from ATC and not what to do in certain situations.

1 Like

At the end of the day, ATC Instructions top procedures. I would always follow ATC Instructions. After the flight, if you do not agree, pm them. We love to hear feedback and how to improve our service in the future

5 Likes

You would have to follow ATC’s instructions

And is this on expert server or training server?

3 Likes

Simply put, we plan and look at the terrain before opening up a radar facility at any airport. We’re not expecting you to divebomb to the assigned altitude or slam on the brakes to immediately slow down. So long as you’re clearly following instructions, you’ll be good. Bear in mind that if you’re given a vector where you will end up in the terrain, feel free to say unable, and request a more suitable altitude on top. That usually gets the controller to reevaluate the situation. We don’t take you off procedures for no reason. Sometimes, it’s simply better to manually vector.

5 Likes

Umm I think you can slow the plane to 170 airspeed in the midair (don’t forget to full flaps and full spoiler) and I think when u get to 5000ft, your plane speed is 240 airspeed 😁😁

1 Like

Or Mach 0.60

@Fung_Sum-sum - I recommend that you re-read the topic a bit more carefully, since your replies doesn’t make much sense at the moment :)

1 Like

This is good info. Maybe that is why he kept telling me, but didn’t give me a violation. Maybe he did understand my situation. I hope to plan better in the future and hopefully set myself up at a better altitude. I was worried that if I didn’t follow a STAR or APP I could get a violation for that.

Nope! Like said before, ATC commands will always override procedures, or anything for that matter. Your chance of being reported for not following instructions is much greater. You won’t be reported for not using procedures anyway, unless they are asked for in the ATIS and you fail to amend them into your FPL.

Gotcha, I was coming off a procedure and than ended up in this situation. I will plan to set myself up better if there is some leeway given for following procedures.

To be honest, this isn’t really something that’s planned, since we can vector you off your FPL at any given moment, so the best thing for you to do is just follow instructions until further ones are given.

If you continue to follow your FPL after being given an ATC vector, then you do risk getting a violation. Not to make ourselves sound superior, but our commands take priority over your FPL. The only time you’ll get in trouble for NOT following your FPL is if we tell you to “continue as filed” and you don’t do so.

TL;DR: follow our instructions please as best as you can. It makes everyone happy! And if you have questions about why you were given a specific instruction, feel free to look up the active controller on if-atc.com and PM them later! We’re always happy to answer questions.

1 Like

Expert server.

1 Like

Thanks. Just to hopefully clarify, this was me transitioning from FPL to ATC instructions.

Yeah, if you’re transitioning from the FPL to our vectors, follow our vectors. It’s lovely when you do!

3 Likes

Suggestion for slowing down fast, If you plane has a setting for spoilers labeled flight, set your spoilers to flight, disable the speed part of your autopilot and have your engines running at a very low percentage, this will help you slow down quickly just dont forget to turn on the auto thrust after ;)

1 Like

You know I thought about this after the fact and I have used them before. 😂

1 Like

You mentioned getting a few speed violations so just wanted to help out :)

1 Like

You can find a longer distance of star to reduce speed . So you can avoid over speed or high altitude.

1 Like

OK thank you for your remind

You can descend very fast 2800 FPS with spoilers on flight, throttle at 0% and full flaps. I stayed at 199 knots.

2 Likes