ATC Tutorial (T&G)

How do you use “all aircraft” messages

Command list of any aircraft> broadcast message> your message

Are you sure the upwind phase is named correctly? I think it’s left downwind leg instead and the departure leg is actually called upwind.

Which of my posts are you referring to, Mushabir?

The one which had the picture of the pattern legs. Btw, nice spelling of my name, seeing it for the first time in my life 😅

Yep, I don’t see a problem with it. [quote=“Mubashir, post:25, topic:67865”]
Btw, nice spelling of my name, seeing it for the first time in my life 😅
[/quote]

My apologies, Mubashir :)

5 Likes

I believe that departure leg is when you are aligned with the runway, and upwind is a reflection of the relative downwind leg.

2 Likes

They are named correctly the departure leg is in line with the runway. An upwind leg is side stepped from the runway on the opposite side of the traffic pattern. You will use the upwind leg in a go around situation. It really doesn’t apply anywhere else.

4 Likes

I received a couple of time an order to extend upwind after a touch and go. I was flying in the pattern. My thought was that the ATC wanted a more extended horizontal separation between me and the other traffic in downwind. Is that correct?

Yes, in that situation, they probably wanted you to delay your 180 into the downwind to increase separation on that leg.

Regarding the two pictures, both are correct. What distinguishes the Upwind/Downwind denotation is the direction of traffic.

If you note, on the first picture, the plane is travelling parallel to the runway in the direction of TO/landing. That makes it (left) upwind.

If, as in the other, that leg was being used parallel to the TO/landing, but travelling in the opposite direction, it would be the (right) downwind.

Both pictures are labeled correctly, but they don’t represent the same scenario, as the direction of travel is in opposition

1 Like

Just read this. Would be hopeful for anyone looking for IFATC recruitment etc

1 Like

Join IFATC and control on expert where pilots have no option but to follow instruction or get ghosted 🙂

2 Likes

Like if runway 22l and 22r was being used, then you should say after the option, make left traffic for 22l, and right traffic for 22r, right?

I just wanted to know cuz none of the ATC tutorials gave an answer to this

Yes. You don’t want your traffic to cut in front of an active runway, so assign them a direction that will keep them from being hit by an aircraft on takeoff.

Well, it’s a bit more complicated than that. There’s nothing saying you have to do that, it’s just that in most cases it’s impractical to have patterns crossing each other due to separation issues. That being said, there are times where I would use “runway 22L cleared for the option, make right traffic” or vise versa. Picture this:

You have an aircraft flying left patterns on 22L, but there are a lot of inbounds on that side of the airport and you’d rather have him on 22R so you can use 22L for the inbounds. One way of course is to just change the aircraft on downwind (“enter left downwind runway 22R”), but you could also clear them for the option on 22L with right traffic, so they position themselves in the right pattern and then you can just change their runway (“enter right downwind runway 22R”).

Hope that helped and feel free to message me if you have any questions :)

–Jakub

2 Likes

Since I can control my upwind more than my downwind, I’ll most often make the switch on upwind. I can hold any 22R departures if I need to. You can also switch them to left downwind 22R later, but that will require them to cross the final approach path for 22L and you have a lot riding on the timing there. I much prefer switching where I can control the traffic by holding it on the ground.

(For airports with more than two parallels, KATL, KORD, whatever, BTW, always switch them to the outer runway. Counting on pilots to perfectly time their every base across two finals or something every circuit is foolhardy.)