Lately there have been a good amount of people requesting to try out to be an ATC on the Advanced Server. Below is a list of things you should know before you try out.
• Clearance (to… land, takeoff, touch & go, option, ILS)
• Sequencing (Putting traffic in order.)
• Right of way (who gives way to who when directing ground traffic)
• Spacing of traffic
• Frequencies (know the difference between ground, tower, approach, departure, ATIS, and center. Know where each frequency operates and when a plane is handed off to the other frequency)
• Holding short
• Line up and wait
• Pattern terms (downwind, base, final. Difference between left/right downwind, etc.)
• Vectors (speed, heading, and altitude assignments)
• Respond to pilots with Misc. Messages (This is mainly to control behavior. Do not taxi through grass, no pattern work at this time, you were already told to change frequency, check ATIS frequency for airport information, etc…)
• Broadcasting messages (Attention all aircraft…: airport is busy, expect delays, only request takeoff when 1st in line, San Clemente tower is closing in 5 minutes, only request ILS approaches, etc.)
If you are waiting to or thinking about testing, make sure you know the definition of these terms. Know what they are, exactly how to use them, and when to use them. It saves everyone time if you learn these on your own time / on the playground server before you fail your test and have to do it again.
Besides your knowledge of these terms and ability to control with judgement, we will be assessing your maturity and judgment. With the ability to control on the advanced server, you will also be granted ghosting powers. We want to ensure that these powers don’t get abused. A controller should know what type of behavior deserves a soft, 10 minute, or 60 minute ghost.
So please, think twice before sending a test request. Be ready when to perform when you try out. The playground server is your training grounds. Again, all try-out requests should be sent to @Tyler_Shelton, @John_Preston21, Dmitri Yanov-Yanovsky, or @Axel_Beder They will issue you your written exam. You will then be observed in action if you pass the test.