ATC Testing & Sequencing

Hey Guys!

As you’ve heard/read, the new ATC written test is in place. To have a really good chance at passing it, you MUST know how to properly sequence your aircraft. I know, this has been covered many times, but I’m reposting because we are still testing people that are missing it. If you can’t sequence, you won’t pass. Here are some tips:

• Sequencing commands are combined with clearances (number 1, 2, 3, etc), but that’s not only what is expected
  • When you have more than one aircraft in the pattern, you must sequence well before you give a clearance (see diagram)
  • Your clearance for pattern traffic should be on the aircraft’s downwind leg, or as they’re turning base. NOT as they’re on final.
  • Sequencing is found in the ATC menu (for now) under Pattern Instructions (it’s pretty far down on the list, so keep scrolling if you’re on a small device).

20 Likes

Great Jason

This is just the basics and what you need to know to pass the test, which is good. However if you have the desire and have already mastered the above please see this more in depth tutorial.

2 Likes

Just be careful of overcontrolling. Joshua’s tutorial is quite in depth and useful for busy air spaces with pilots who are inexperienced. As Carson said, I’m specifically talking about your ATC test. You’ll have a max of 4-5 pilots flying the pattern who know what they’re doing. Base turn and downwind commands won’t be needed since it’s up to pilots to maintain correct visual separation.

3 Likes

And it’s Joshua. Big lines from him always :P

4 Likes

Nice! Also, the “Request Speed” button is also useful sometimes :)

2 Likes

… except in the test environment, @ryan06. We don’t want to hear speed commands either if there is proper sequencing! :)

4 Likes

Sequencing - Can make you fail or pass

3 Likes