ATC Speed restriction

Let’s go this route:

The approach controller’s job is to manage separation. So use your location as a guide. 6th in line, well away from the glidescope, a maintain speed command is to maintain consistant distance between planes. If told to reduce to another speed on base, it’s because you may be going too fast.

After clearing you for the approach, which, again, was the situation here, there’s absolutely no reason why the approach controller would intend for a command to force you to miss your fix, nor is there any reason to add a request to configure for landing speed.

As the approach controller is done issuing commands to you after clearing you for the approach, your should be reducing to landing speed. There is no justification for a request of the tower controller to be able to maintain an appropriate landing speed.There is no reason for every inbound plane to spam the tower with “hey, is it okay if I don’t blow through the cone or blast a crater in the runway?”

The answer is simple. Once cleared for approach maintain the speed that allows you to hit your fix and land, in that order.

Situational awareness based upon where you are in the process.

Before you yet again tell me I’m not reading, once cleared for the approach, your dialogue with Approach is at its end.

2 Likes

I think that every help that pilots can give to the approach is welcome. In busy days, If the ATC gives you a speed but you see that it’s too fast to maintain a correct separation between you and the aircraft in front of you, you are allowed to go slower. Instead going faster it’s not permitted. Finally, yes if you are cleared for the approach, once you catch the ILS, the speed, heading and altitude are at your discretion.

I guess I am the controller you are looking for @Rambo …because I use the speeds 190,220,240 while controlling…I was about to make this post…usually (I don’t know about others) I do say “speed” followed by greater or lesser…but sometime while maintaining sep it is vital for all planes to be at a organise speed…

Also I try as much as I can to give a speed discretion command…

But sometimes the airspace is so crowded that it is that last thing (at least myself) would care about…

Also as others mentioned above …have situational awareness… It is evident that the plane in front of you is not going to land with the given speeds commanded by app controller but as you can he is gradually slowing himself…you(I request everybody) can also start slowing down…

Though not everyone is going to follow this but once given to twr it is more or less his responsibility to maintain sep…

But even the twr has high no of deps and arrivals

So it is appriciated some voulantary action from your side

Cheers

Partha// IFATC Officer

1 Like

If you have an issue, PM me.

You and @Tim_B are incorrect sorry guys if they are with approach it’s the controllers job to maintain seperation not the pilots. We don’t have visuals for the radar frequency yet. When we do we will need to tell them to follow traffic at their 12 o clock etc.

In case you missed it here is when the speed restriction if assigned ends.

1 Like

“Or the final approach fix”

That’s the point I’m talking about.

And I said pretty explicitly, the controller is assigning speeds to maintain separation, but okay.

I must have mis interpreted what you said

Those parts. But I don’t want to get bogged down here. You know what you’re talking about, we all know that.

As I read the question, it was, after being cleared, when trying to make the turn into the ILS fix, is there a need for another request from the pilot if they need to slow a few knots to hit that fix? I think it’s superfluous.

Now, while under the Approach controller from beginning to clearance to handoff, “maintain” means “maintain”, to keep consistent separation. I believe we are in agreement on that, even if we’re kind of getting mixed up on semantics. I think we’re just using different words.

By Tyler’s definition I’m going with they need to maintain that thru the localizer up until 5 miles.

Once I get handed off to tower I do my own thing. In the end you’re the pilot. If you’re coming in too fast, go around. If you get a speed like the one issued and you can’t maintain that speed while trying to land, use the “unable” message. I use it all the time. In the end, I’m flying, not the controller.

1 Like

I was flying on the expert server in Southern California when I was 1 NM out to my destination the controller told me to increase speed to 230kts when I pressed UNABLE he told me to see the help pages for ATC instructions and then he ghosted me what should I do?

1 nm out? Then you are supposed to be on tower freq. Tower can’t issue spesific speed restrictions, only “slowest practical speed”, “best forward speed” “speed at your discretion” and “maintain present speed” something does not add up here

2 Likes

Aadit, see

If you know the controller, send him a private message, otherwise open a separate thread with more information (your callsign, time of the issue, the airport, etc.) and IFATC will look at it.

1 Like

Partha it’s not the controller’s job to send speed commands. Speed commands should be used only when necessary because speed is the pilots’ job.

Cheers
John-IFATC Officer

In real life speed adjustments must be restated to a pilot after a handoff and speed adjustments cannot be issued after the approach gate or 5NM from the runway whichever is further. I would just assume 5NM because nobody is familiar with the approach gate.

Guess I’m the only MOD to see this post so far.

I’ll keep it simple!

You Must follow approach speed requirements until cleared for an approach or handed off to a tower controller. Approach is looking at a bug picture and issues speed assignments for spacing reasons. If everyone was able to fly their own speed in real life the accident rate would be immensely proportional to the lack of judgment of pilots. As ATC controllers we are not God’s but we do have a different view from you all.

Please follow the commands of your Advanced ATC controllers as they are most likely using the most expeditious method to get you to your destination. Even if you are VFR and asking for radar vectors to a runway you are subject to the controllers commands. POSITIVE CONTROL takes two to tango thus we kindly ask that you be a good dance partner.

If you feel that your ghosting is not just, please PM the controller in question or one of the MODS and we’ll look I not it. Having multiple controllers who are not part of the situation respond only degrades the quality of our feedback.

Respectfully,

Heavydriver
ATC MOD

6 Likes

usually speed restrictions are applied up to 4nm from threshold, thats real world figures (although rare it gets to that case except LHR and FRA)

I said all I had to say

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.