ATC Sequencing: Traffic to follow is on left/right crosswind

I’ve recently noticed that the sequencing section for ATC is missing a right/left crosswind (refer to image below), which is important when remaining in the pattern.

For example:
When i was controlling aircraft remaining in the pattern, Singapore 1 was on crosswind (remaining in the pattern) while Lufthansa 7 has just departed, also remaining in the pattern. As I would need to sequence Lufthansa 7 to follow Singapore 1, I would have to tell Lufthansa 7 to follow Singapore 1 on downwind (although he’s on crosswind), or wait for Singapore 1 to be on downwind before giving Lufthansa 7 the sequence.

If the traffic to follow is on left/right crosswind is implemented, it will benefit both ATC and Pilots, as well as reduce confusion.

I’m pretty sure a number of ATC and Pilots would appreciate this command!

If you are not sure what is crosswind, check this out!
Airport_traffic_pattern-cc-

I always found it weird that this command isn’t here, maybe there is a reason for it?

5 Likes

Your pattern would have to be pretty full for an aircraft to have to follow someone on crosswind. ATC should sequence aircraft when they are on their upwind/crosswind leg, so this command would not be necessary. If the pattern is that full, we can just wait until the aircraft is on their crosswind leg and sequence them behind an aircraft on downwind. Personally, I have never been in a situation where I felt this command would be needed while controlling or flying.

edit: Unicom has these commands because aircraft must report their position on all legs on Unicom.

2 Likes

I was in this situation during my IFATC training 😂

1 Like

I’m taking this from Tyler’s 1st “perfect ATC test”

he said that even though that there isn’t a “traffic to follow is on crosswind” command, you can still point in the right direction. for example, if aircraft A was on upwind, and aircraft B was on crosswind, you can send a command to aircraft A saying “number 2 traffic to follow is on left/right downwind.” even though they aren’t on downwind yet, it’ll get them looking in that direction to see who they’re following. the whole purpose of sequencing is to make sure the pilot knows who he is following. if any of that makes sense.

5 Likes

That’s what I mentioned in my example above. But having that crosswind command would be easier for both Pilots and ATC!

1 Like

I see what you mean, and in a way, I can see where it would help in a full pattern. but honestly, I would just wait to sequence when he is on downwind.

2 Likes

I totally agree with this. No one needs to be sequenced immediately after takeoff, etc.

2 Likes

Well, fair point made! The crosswind command isn’t necessarily needed, but it will be great if it is added :)

1 Like

it would definitely be cool. but definitely not a necessity right now. happy flying!

1 Like

I see, it is not needed that often (only in ATC tests haha). I also always just say follow aircraft on downwind, since it is most of the time pretty obvious.

1 Like

Agree with @lucaviness but would still be good to add the command for completion imo.

2 Likes

The problem with that I see is that if there is another aircraft in the pattern already on the downwind leg, it can be a bit confusing as to which aircraft to follow.

1 Like

This would be useful!

This can be useful it can reduce the chances of aircraft cutting another pilot off. It means less conflicts too

Isn’t really necessary. The sequence is meant to point the aircraft in the direction of where the aircraft is they are following, all the pilot should then be doing is counting what number they are in the sequence. This would be used rarely.

This command has nothing to do with how the pilots behave. That’s a common training server issue, an expert server pilot will follow the sequence or be made to by other means.

2 Likes