ATC Requirements

I just a few questions about the requirements. I just applied to IFATC and took the written test, I got a 72% or 76% (I can’t remember). So my first question is why is the passing score 80%? I understand it’s supposed to be difficult, but the entire test is trick questions almost. Secondly, why are there trick questions in the test? I missed 3 questions because of one word. Lastly, why do I qualify for training with my score? Even though I didn’t pass the exam (70+ C). Also, why do I have to wait 2 weeks in order to retake the test? I’m not trying to be rude or snarky, but I personally think this is crazy. Anyway that’s my rant. Thanks.

2 Likes

We have a high standard at IFATC. And none of the questions are trick questions, they are just practical knowledge questions to test your thinking. If you have any questions, feels free to dm me the ones you got wrong and I’d be happy to explain!

4 Likes

Will do, like I said, I’m not trying to be rude or anything, just trying to figure this out. Dming you a question.

1 Like

Working out through PM. Thanks!

3 Likes

@Matt I truly get your frustrations! I worked on the IFATC recruitment through the summer and into the fall and Ultimately didn’t pass. I still would recommend reading and studying the ATC guide and manual

Yup. I read the manual and took the practice exams like 10 times and didn’t pass. :(. I’ll keep trying until I pass lol. Or until I’m out of attempts.

1 Like

Just keep practicing. Not everybody passes on the first attempt. Each controller is held to the same high standard. Don’t overthink it. Be persistent and try your best and you will achieve your goals. Ask me how I know. Looking forward to welcoming you to the team.

2 Likes

Yea I expected that, but I was confused due to the fact that practice test questions were quite different. I’ll continue to look through the manual and videos while I wait for the 2 weeks to end.

Speaking from experience & dealing with recruits on a daily basis, a few people think this is true. However, once the question/scenario is explained fully — they commonly agree they’re not trick questions & they (the recruit) aren’t fully thinking out the entire question(s).

4 Likes

Agreed. I worked through one with another ATC and now it makes sense. Just one part was so confusing that I didn’t even think about.

Yes they are. Read the questions carefully. I’d say the Grace period is to allow you to and help you brush up some more. It is also a little more stressful when it’s timed. These are all variables testing your skills ;)

2 Likes

You’re not the only one who feels this way. I first applied to IFATC in late 2020 but failed the written twice. So I had to wait almost a year to apply again and get accepted. Just keep practicing and you’ll get there in no time!

1 Like

Yup, I’m just afraid I’ll do even worse LOL then I did this time.

The test is difficult and have a lot of trick questions because the IFATC staff needs to know how much you know about IFATC. 80% is the passing score, realy normal. Because they want to be sure you know EVERYTHING, you want to become a IFATC controller in expert, so you need to be an expert controller. IFATC is a realy serious job! And also you need to wait for 2 weeks, because they want to give you the time to learn more about IFATC rules. You need to take your time and study a lot to be sure you pass with a percentage above 80%. If you want help with your IFATC recruitment and want to learn more to pass the test please send me a DM in discord [Levi_Weterings#7994] and I will learn you some more things that you will be sure that you pass the test! I will recomend you to take the practise test a couple times, the best way is that you do the practise test and have a score of 80% or above for more then 3 times!

1 Like

Adding you on discord. Thank you for the explanation. I’ve gotten 80+ on almost all of them.

Discord name is Shoddy

Hey, I been trying to get into IFATC since 2019 lol but yep I passed like few days ago, you just need to read the Manual and practice in the training server and focus on sequences they are the most important thing!

1 Like

Yup. I’m not worried about the practice or the practical exam. It’s the written tests for me.

To be honest, practical was harder than the written, you can’t get any mistakes maybe like one or two but other than that if you failed you gonna wait a lot so yep just focus on sequences and practice and then when you read the questions it will be easy

Really? Isn’t it just doing ground and tower tasks. Like traffic management and patterns?