ATC Radio Scanner

Hey, I have a house right next to KBOS, and I am looking for a radio scanner that I will use for listen to live ATC. I am really looking forward to getting it!
Thanks!

3 Likes

There is LiveATC.net usually have it!

1 Like

What about a device?

2 Likes

They have an app!

I use this one and can hear NZWN frequencies from almost 12 kilometres away but also at the airport. You can enter channels and put different frequencies to scan. Also pretty reasonable and a good size, would recommend it.

Here’s a photo of mine, it’s quite easy to setup if you read the manual and watch a few YouTube videos.

1 Like

liveatc is cool

1 Like

Think about the future too. If you’re eventually looking at becoming a pilot you should invest in something you would use. I recommend the Sporty’s SP400. It’s a navigational aid and radio in one device. It has VOR and ILS capabilities as well as your standard aviation VHF radio comm capabilities along with NOAA weather radio.

For example my friend and I were flying a Cessna to Fulton Co in Atlanta when we got cleared for the ILS we realized our glide slope was malfunctioning since it never intercepted so we used the SP-400 to follow the glide slope down.

Those are weakling numbers! I personally use the Live Flight Android app and I can hear frequencies 20,000 kilometers away.

1 Like

Thats cool! I might get that!

1 Like

Yeah and the reason being you aren’t actually picking up the transmissions, just listening to them from a stream. Airports in New Zealand don’t allow for frequencies to streamed but you can tune in using a one way scanner, therefore you can’t access it on LiveFlight. 12 kilometres is a decent rage for a 100 buck scanner that directly picks up frequencies. Big difference between an actual scanner and a streaming app/site. Hope that clears it up.

2 Likes

I’ve got an AU$60 SDR Radio kit. Just installed some software on my laptop, connected the Aerial through a USB port and can hear ATC at YMML around 50km away, albeit across water (I’m on the southeast of the bay and MEL is in the north).

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.