ATC Questions

I got a couple of general questions about ATC. Currently I’m mainly trying to operate in busy airports in the training server because I need to improve my capacity to operate in stressful situations that is when I tend to make more mistakes.

I already know the basics for ATC, I have good experience even tho is not exactly applicable in every scenario for big airliners. I have a couple of questions but I will probably add more in the comments.

• KLAX: let’s say we are differents controllers for gorund and tower. If a plane lands on 25L and needs to cross 25R, should tower switch freq to ground or can the plane stay on tower freq since tower knows how much time he has to cross the rwy? (Usually 25R is really busy so there is planes lining up, taking of and landing every short period of time) In order to cross usually the plane cleared for LUAW should hold for him but ground cannot really do that. I’m going to summarize the question, when a plane exits a rwy, does he has to always switch to ground or there are some scenarios where tower can choose to keep him in his freq? Or how do you operate in those situations if you are ground?

• I already asked this question in other topic but is still not clear. Transition altitude: Should be inside the airspace (below 5000 AGL) but high enough to not become a problem for planes in the pattern right? In the written test there was a couple of questions about that all with different altitudes. Does it take in consideration recommended VFR / IFR altitude depending of the heading of the aircraft? (odd / even + 500ft for VFR for example)

• Give way to… is also an instruction for the aircraft to hold position if needed? or should be together with a hold position if the aircraft needs to stop in order to have enough space to fit both planes?

• To improve ATC, what do you guys recommend, enter in big airports to improve operations in high stress or go to smaller airports?

I have more questions but right now I don’t remember all of them haha but I will probably ask more things in the comments. If you dont understand the questions please let me know and I will try to reformulate the question.

Probably I will open the tracking threat again tonight (USA time zone) and I would really appreciate if anyone could join that to practice a little bit more.

Thank you guys!!
Yem19

1 Like

These are awesome questions!

For this question, it comes down to preference. Usually tower is responsible for all active runways, so I would personally keep the plane on the tower frequency and have them change to ground after crossing.

To keep this as simple as possible, the rule of thumb, for transition altitudes, is that you take the airport elevation and add 2500. After that you always round up to the nearest 500’ increment. For example, if an airport has an elevation of 300’, you would add 2500’ to that to get 2800’. After rounding up, your transition altitude would be 3000’.

A give command should be used on its own, without a hold position command. Give way implies holding until the coast is clear. With this, a pilot also doesn’t need to be told to continue taxi afterwards.

The best way to improve is to start small and to work your way up. Once you master a low amount of traffic, it gets easier to progress to larger traffic. If you start at the max, you will get super stressed and wont learn anything from the session. It could also leave you feeling frustrated and demotivated.

Hope this helps

7 Likes

Thank you for all this answers, helped me a lot! I will try some smaller airports.

Thanks for your time
Yem19

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.