ATC question

How do people handle such busy airports at time with no second frequency? I am not an expert ATC but i applied and the only thing that worries me is handling more than ten planes at a time because i was now at Heathrow on training server and its very difficult to handle all those planes at once

1 Like

The more you handle high traffic, the easier it becomes to handle.

Also we work ourselves up to high levels of traffic by starting small and growing

3 Likes

You have a power you can use it 😉

1 Like

I think u controlled me once u do great but is there any advice?

1 Like

Drummer sums it up nicely; it’s all about building up a solid foundation with quieter and smaller places, and then slowly moving your way up and gaining that experience. In due time, controlling the main hubs will come your way and it’s no where near as daunting as it may seem right now!

6 Likes

This is a relief cause training server alone stresses me out😭😭😭

Well thank you! My piece of advice is to provide quality over quantity. It is much better to give awesome service to smaller people than to give subpar service to a lot. If you keep doing that, you will eventually give awesome service to lot of people at once

1 Like

Haha if u are talking about report i cant lmao

Thank you for the advice this makes me feel so much better!

Hey @FirstOfficerLevi!

It really just comes with practice and a lot of time put in, perfecting your technique. Most of us try to come up with plans and handle it as efficiently as possible and over time, we gain that experience to consistently handle 5, then 10, then 15 aircraft, and so forth. I’ve been in IFATC for about 6 months and can pretty much handle any amount of traffic on Ground and Tower, excluding when things like flash flights happen, and it’s all because I’ve put time and effort in. l’ve controlled nearly everyday since I’ve joined and it’s definitely paid off.

I’d love to see you on the team soon if you are thinking about joining! Hope my perspective helped a bit to answer your question. :)

3 Likes

I always say “know your limits” and control what you can control.

It isn’t about always opening the busy places, work your way up to comfortability. A lot of controllers enjoy the hectic environments, but it takes time to build up to be comfortable in them.

I’ve been IFATC for about two and a half years, and there’s still tons of things I’m learning and different tricks to help with traffic flow.

3 Likes

The training server environment can indeed be stressy! Many pilots are still learning, and there are the trolls that are present too, so it definitely doesn’t help your situation. A great way to start getting that foundation base is to open up a tracking thread to get fellow community members to join and help you out; you’ll get realistic piloting, and a chance to really hone in on your skills and areas you need work on.

3 Likes

3 words

Practice Makes Perfect

2 Likes

I understand your frustration. Sometimes, training server pilots aren’t really the best, and some of them tend to not follow instructions or even troll. I’d recommend opening up a ATC tracking thread for you to practice, with community members attending your ATC session whenever you open. This really helps in the process of getting into IFATC. Feel free to check this out. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi!!! Yes i applied thank you for the advice i would love to work with u and the team one day if i pass

3 Likes

I would like that as well! Let me know if you have any questions and I can help you out, would be my pleasure to help you get in, we’re always looking for new recruits!

1 Like

Also, I have to say, people on the Training Server, don’t follow instructions, spam frequency, make unnecessary reports etc, so I believe it may be a bit easier controlling on ES wher epoeple follow instructions.

1 Like

This is straight facts and amazing how ur doing this for almost three years , thank you!

2 Likes

Best of luck in the application process! Feel free to reach out to an IFATC Controller if you have any questions or need help. We’d love to help out!

1 Like

I would love to do that but it will also be my first time so please if u ever have time to show me how to do that please do