ATC question

Well well well, I have to correct you from that mate, in pattern works, known as circuit trainings in real life, we have three options, departure from pattern leg, “Touch and go” and “Full Stop”. In real life training, at least in Australia thats where I was trained, we report tower, that we are turning downwind, and the intention. Let’s say “FPP, turning downwind, touch and go/ full stop”. Full stop simply means "hey tower, I’d like to end my pattern work and land, no more touch and gos. This works the same here, just its more simple comparing to real life.

The first call that is made to tower should be a call inbound. For example, if you were to call inbound for landing, and then on base, decide you want to make a touch and go, you would report position and state that you would like a touch and go.

OMG guys just listen. You have Trainers here.
I mean these are the best controllers you will ever find… DONT correct them lol 🤦‍♂️.

1 Like

In an effort to try to contribute to the conversation, I spoke to my roommate who is a long-time commercial airline pilot and check-ride airman. I asked him what “full stop” meant to him and his reply was:

“A full stop is a normal landing which ends with the aircraft stopping and exiting the runway rather than doing a training exercise of touch and go”

A full stop does not mean that you stop on the runway - that never happens in real life - unless you’re squawking 7700 and doing a belly landing haha

That’s 100% correct. 👍

1 Like

Did he also tell you that part? I highly doubt he did. Ever hear of a Stop and Go? Probably should have stuck to what was actually said to you instead of the add lib at the end.

1 Like

Actually he did tell me that because he has a sense of humor. No need to be rude to me. Thanks

Oh I got one what do you do when a pilot ask for takeoff with a full flight plan that’s about 8 hours long but they State staying in the pattern or do you trust them to remain in the pattern cuz they want to come around and have fun before they depart or just give him a clear for take off without a left or right traffic

I did exactly what U said few hours ago in Eserver. (Few t&go and then depart) IFATC TWR gave me pattern orders when I requested takeoff clearance.

In the otherhand, when I did the same thing in Tserver TWR gave me unable pattern work or just takeoff clearance without pattern instruction

1 Like

Funny that you say that cuz if I see a flight plan I’ll just usually clears on for takeoff without a right or left traffic…as I don’t Trust the PIC will stay in the pattern…thus the Flight plan… as the experts told me I can’t clear them for the fly runway heading and altitude UNLESS it’s to diffuse traffic conflict

If someone requests remaining in the pattern, regardless of flight plan, it’s best to give them clearance with a traffic direction. Yes, 98% who ask in this scenario have no idea what remaining in the pattern means, but there are some that actually fly a few pattens prior to departing the airspace. It doesn’t hurt anything to provide the proper clearance for the service requested.

If someone on expert requests remaining in the pattern and then doesn’t, I give them a check help and then a frequency change.

1 Like

See there is the difference…on the expert server…IF there is no pattern work allowed per ATIS…that REQUEST is BLOCKED OUT…not such on TS…thus LIMITED options, as we don’t know anything on the TS…so we are NOT provided with 100 percent of the tools to control…we have to do a work around…according to the experts…TS controllers don’t understand ALL AVAILABLE options and have LEARN using LIMITED functions

You should then read manuals and work your way to IFATC

Greetings Everyone! I got a new question.

1. First one is about ‘enter straight in’ pattern instruction. If aircraft is about 13nm away, 4000ft, heading 010, inbound for RWY02 (almost lined up with RWY) : which instruction is more appropriate? ‘Enter straight in or Enter right base’.

2. It’s hard for me to tell when to use ‘Enter straight in’ and ‘Continue inbound’. When do we use them

3. Finally, about ‘descend to pattern altitude’. Can I use this to inbound aircrafts on too high altitude? If it isn’t for this usage could what is it for?

Enter straight in command would be appropriate.

Enter straight in, like you said is for aircraft headed directly towards (or offset by a couple degrees) the runway.
Continue inbound is usually used when aircraft call in too far out and you’re not sure where you want to put them yet.

You could use it for that, if they’re not descending yes. But this is also for aircraft remaining in the pattern that are too high above pattern altitude (1000 AGL for props 1500 for jets).

One more! Let’a assume that I’ve done some t&go and will depart east. I’m on left downwind right now meaning I have to go right over the airport. Do I have to request transition? If I do, should I request departure first and then transition or vice versa??

Nope. Just request departure to the east. Climb to an appropriate altitude over other pattern traffic and you’ll be on your way :)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.