ATC question

Hello guys~ Got some few questions during my flight. It’s about pilot ATC menu.

Q1. When you want to report your intension to the TWR, what ATC message is appropriate?

‘Call inbound’ or ‘report position’
and what is the main difference between these two?

Q2. On report position menu, you can choose a pattern position and intension. In those ‘intensions’ what is difference between ‘landing’ and ‘full stop’

Now about Controller…

Q3. As I heard, TWR must provide pattern instructions before landing clearance. The questions is : (When rader controller present) Does TWR have to give patterns to all inbound aircraft regardless of aporoach method? Or exept ILS(GPS) approach and visual approach airaft?

Q4. Can’t we give sequence instructions to ILS/GPS approach aircrafts? Why is this??

4 Likes

If there is no approach active, call inbound for landing. Simply click: call inbound -> landing -> send. You can also request a specific runway.

If approach is active, call inbound based on the radar services you received.

ILS - Inbound on the ILS

Visual - Inbound on the Visual

Radar vectors and flight following - Inbound for landing

Calling inbound is informing tower of your intentions to land. More details above.

Reporting position is a way for you to notify Tower if your location in the pattern. Do not report your position as a way of calling inbound or if you have already gotten a clearance.

A landing is a full stop.

If Radar is present, Tower only needs to provide pattern entries to Radar vectors and flight following aircraft.

ILS approaches should get a clearance.

Visual approaches should get a sequence (if needed) and a clearance.

Sequences are for VFR aircraft to visually identify the aircraft they follow. Aircraft flying an ILS approach are not VFR, and hence should not receive a sequence.

More questions are always welcome!

10 Likes

You do not need to give a pilot a pattern entry if they’re on a ILS or Visual approach. However, you do need to a pattern entry for RVs (Radar Vectors) or FF (Flight Following). This scenario is when you have an approach controller with you.

2 Likes

Got it!! Thanks for your help!!

The ATC screen shows the way aircraft is using for approach, right? What does LOC mean??

(I know what ILS, GPS, and VIS means obviously… is there more abbreviation for approach methods I might wanna know?)

Yes, it will show. Example below, doesn’t show the approach because he was on ground. But if he was handed to tower from approach, it would show the runway assignment then below would show what approach they requested (ILS, VIS, RV or FF).

LOC means localizer. It’s a system that gives aircraft guidance horizontally (along the axis of the runway) to the ground.

2 Likes

Then if the approach on the ATC screen shows ‘LOC’ it means that the aircraft is on ILS approach? Cuz I think I’ve seen ‘LOC’ appear on that…

also I got new question about back taxi

Q1. The small space attached to the end of the runway(the rotation space for back taxi like the one on TNCM) - is this space considered as taxiway or a part of the runway??

Q2. (At TNCM airport) If I want an aircraft to hold on the space attached next to RWY28 threshold and empty RWY10 for traffic on final, what instructions do I have to give?
‘Back taxi RWY, contact GND on the taxiway’ or ‘Exit RWY to the left, contact GND on the taxiway’ or both…???

LOC stands for local not localizer. If they have LOC on the strip it means they asked to remain in the pattern on departure.

4 Likes

That’s it.Also I see myself lol

No @Darius_Glover is correct

Well, calling inbound is the initial call you make. Reporting position acts as a reminder if you will. Tower may ask you to report base/downwind/final. In this case, you then, when you are either turning onto the appropriate leg or established on said leg, call and report the appropriate position. Also, if you’re on shot final (maybe coming up to @00ft AGL) and you don’t have landing clearance, you can call “on final”. But, at 100ish feet if you still don’t have the clearance, go around. Bonus tip for the go around: iniate the manoeuvre first then call the tower!

Due to the small size of this part at TNCM, it is considered part of the runway. It would not be considered part of the runway if there was a hold short line separating it from the runway.

You would not be able to hold aircraft there. But, if you want to tell them to exit the runway, you could simply tell them to exit runway. But, it they’re pSt the exits, a back taxi wouldn’t hurt.

What I don’t understand is why do pilots of ALL GRADES still feel the need to request a runway for landing if you were handed over from approach if I’m Tower should I just ignore the request and give Landing clearance or give a pattern entry anyway as I assume if you’re requesting to land you need both a pattern entry and clearance otherwise the pilot should just say they are on the ILS GPS or visual…unless they are not… such as VFR… I understand the sequencing part

Well, not everyone knows the proper way of calling inbound. Some do, some don’t. I just clear them according to which runway they were cleared by approach.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t have corrected Darius’ post if he was correct…

4 Likes

That is not it’s purpose. It should only be used to inform the controller of your new intentions.

Cleared for the option but intend on doing a full stop landing, report full stop. More of a nice gesture to report full stop since the controller already cleared you for a full stop landing in the option clearance. Cleared to land but want to do a touch and go, report touch and go.

We do not need reminders and we cannot ask you to report position on a specific leg, so reporting position randomly only wastes the controller’s time, we can’t unsee you.

2 Likes

When @Darius_Glover was talking about how a LOC is a Localiser and how it provides horizontal guidance he was correct. Google it if you think I’m wrong

1 Like

Fake news. Full stop is when you stop ON the runway before turning off on to the taxiway, idk when you’d use this outside of emergency scenarios but it exists. A regular landing is when you just turn off once you reach a speed of about 40-30kts ground speed. At least that’s what I’ve been told.

1 Like

Correct, but we’re referring to the flight strips.

1 Like

Yeah, I misread the question. LOC on the landing strips means the aircraft is staying within the pattern (local).

1 Like