ATC Question about "I'll call your base"

Hi.

I have a question:

Scenario:
If I have 2 sequenced planes on left downwind, and I need to build space between then, I will call “I call your base” to the both of them.

When time is right, I will start with the number 2 aircraft (behind nr.1) and call “Turn base”. (as showed in “The perfect ATC test” video at 12:00 minutes)

Then I will tell him he is now nr.1 (he is now being changed/squenced from nr.2 to nr.1).

Then I go over and tell the “old” nr.1 that he is now nr.2 TRAFFIC TO FOLLW IS ON LEFT BASE.

?! Will he (the new nr.2) turn he’s base as him self? -or will he still be waiting for my command “turn base” before he will turn?

2 Likes

No that’s not what it’s used for that’s what sequencing is for. “#2 traffic to follow is on left downwind”. “I’ll call your base” is used for extra spacing for departures typically. Once an aircraft is sequenced it’s up to them to maintain seperation not you. //Recruiter

7 Likes

So if I take the example from the video (The perfect ATC test at about 12:00), Then you say, that after I have being giving the new nr.2 aircraft the “Number 2, traffic to follow is on left base” command, he will make the turn automatic?

Yes. It’s the pilot’s job to follow and space with who the controller instructed him to follow.

OK thanks. But it is a little confusing, when I first have promised him that I will call his base, and then I don’t do it.
OK I do it with the “traffic to follow command” but I don’t say Turn base (as promised)
:-)

No need to say “I’ll call your base” at all if you provide a sequencing command. The only thing you promised is a sequencing instruction for the pilot to follow. Only use the “I’ll call your base” command to space for departures.

You wouldn’t use call base for this, as Brandon said, it’s usually only for space for deps. It’s up to the pilot, not the controller, for number two to maintain adequate sep from number one.

But in the “The perfect ATC test” video it is used for a approach. (at 12:00)

Link me to the video. I want to watch it. They probably had a reason to.

But if you have a cessna in front and a boring777 behind I need to build up space.

Here is the link:

That’s what you use sequencing and speed commands for. Sequence the Cessna #2, instead of using call base.

1 Like

Still, it’s up to the Boeing 777 pilot to make the decision as to when he should turn base to provide spacing with the Cessna. If they’re too close, make the cessna do a 360 and sequence behind the 777.

Your referring to when you have a faster aircraft behind a slower aircraft in which case you will tell the #2 aircraft to “Turn base” then give the leading aircraft his #2 sequence. This hardly ever happens though.

I wonder also why nr.2 starts the turn to base, and not nr.1 aircraft.
?!?

If the aircraft is following to close than throw in a 360. Since it’s left downwind the appropriate 360 would be right.

If your inbound line is large and you have many aircraft to sequence, than it’s appropriate to use call base, but if you do only call that #1 aircraft the following #2 can be sequenced behind #1.

He did that because of the amount of planes in the pattern. If there were only two or three planes there wouldn’t be a need. It’s there to use when sequencing is not applicable.

Because the #2 aircraft is faster then the #1 so instead of making him fly 15 miles you make his pattern tighter and put him first.

That make sense :-)
Thank you.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.