ATC only concentrating on landings

I was flying at San Clemente last night on the playground server and there was 14 aircraft waiting in line down the taxiway to takeoff. There were about 4 incoming aircraft on approach which were fairly spread out, meaning a takeoff or two could have been given between each landing. The controller landed these aircraft and then concentrated on more incoming aircraft which were very far away, no where near the ILS flight path. The takeoff line was now up to 17 aircraft so many planes (including me) got fed up of waiting 20+ minutes of in line to not move at all and decided to take off together :)

Would be nice if controllers could observe the takeoff queues instead of only concentrating on landings

5 Likes

Here is the reply from the controller.

6 Likes

I think some controllers don’t seem to have a feel for when you can squeeze in a takeoff between landings. Either they leave very long gaps like in your case, or they try and clear you for takeoff when you have someone on appraoch at 4nm out.

2 Likes

Do you know the distances of the incoming aircraft? When I was controlling there, I had a queue of about 8 aircraft, because the incoming planes were spaced out perfectly.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

2 Likes

My question is Runway like St Clemente are you allowed to clear take-off a aircraft who doesn’t need long runway? even though the landed one approaching end of the runway but not got off the runway?. (Pls don’t say is not possible in real world, I know most thing we do is not possible in RWA)

1 Like

God no what if the approaching traffic had to go around

1 Like

Are you replying to my question @Brandon_Sandstrom? Yes if you got spacing from the one coming to land and why not line-up and clear him take off if he’s got enough space to take-off. Problem with KNUC it’s not just you got to worry about landing spacing also you gotta wait for long taxi exit becouse of the long runway and ppl breaking early and too much of reverse thrust. I’m not talking bout other airfield, are you allowed to clear take-off ? I think the controller tried to be good but luck of patients in playground server this is what would happen.

@GatwickGuy yes I was responding to you but I miss understood what you were saying I always wait until they have exited just in case. But I do always have them line up and wait as soon as the aircraft clears the hold short line. But you can only get takeoff a and landings in if everyone keeps a 10 mile spacing on final for a single runway or it can’t be done people run into one another.

1 Like

Well good for you. And what do you consider “Spaced out Perfectly” if you have a long Q burning gas on the taxi way… If your working both ground/tower ya gotta coordinate the flow. If there are two of you you need to coordinate. As for inbounds learn to “Stack” them, call them down in intervals, it just like Shuffling cards… Max Sends

I live right next to world busiest single runway. In busy time always one lands and one take-off. To that happening in IF the arriving ones should keep the distance for spacing. We could only dream (if IF comes up with holding point and ATC command "Hold at …fix or VOR, that would bring nice flow of traffic to airport, this would help approach a lot)

2 Likes

1 Like

It helps to have a good approach controller working with you. KSAN tower probably get bored when I’m on approach :)

1 Like

If I do say so myself lol. There are always the pilots that just want to get down and contact tower 20 miles out though

1 Like

This is why this is called playground. The ATC should have used Due to heavy traffic, airport is not accepting incoming airplanes at this time but, due to KNUC having the only exit at the end of runway 23 and our fellow infinite flighters taking a big good 2 mins to vacate the runway. A longer separation is required. When I used to control in KNUC I had a 8NM separation… Even with such a huge separation, I wasn’t able to send at least a takeoff in between…

The irony guys, KNUC in real life never gets such amount of traffic.

Let’s (at least people who are reading this) maintain good speed to reach the exit and vacate this landing quickly!

cheers!
//AC2.

4 Likes

What do you do to get him bored? Do you take your traffic for sightseeing? ;)

Nope just evenly spaced everything so planes can takeoff and land without a big to do about it 10nm spacing is the key on a single runway

1 Like

By spaced out perfectly I meant that they came wthi just the right amount of time so the were spaced out enough, but there wasn’t enough space for any of the planes in the queue to take off. I definitely wasn’t boasting lol.

I have figured out what system works for me on single runway airports. After many operations it just comes easy now. I usually tell traffic holding short to “stand by” to make sure they are awake. As soon as inbound traffic passes threshold i tell them to line up and wait. I then locate the aircraft that landed and tell to exit and please expedite. Watching the traffic lining up just to be sure they are following instruct. As soon as landed aircraft clears runway i clear for take off please expedite. Depending on speed, i will usually make sure to allow 4-5 nm before clearing an aircraft to line up. Also keep in mind that the tower is different distances from different runways. Just because 4 nm is enough room at knuc, that doesnt mean 4 nm is enough at birmingham.