ATC on expert server

Is it just me or is there a shortage of ATCs on expert server lately? Just wondering if there is a schedule or coordinated flights I can follow because I enjoy flying with ATC support. Please let me know and I apologize in advance if this is not the correct forum section to pose this question.

6 Likes

I’m not aware of any shortage. There were plenty on last night for FNF. We aren’t going to have 10+ controllers on 24/7. We have lives to live.

8 Likes

Probably due to the timezones and it is also Saturday so most people are going out tonight !

4 Likes

There is no schedule as to when or where IFATC will be. We just open up in a region with more aircraft or where there is other ATC. Remember the IFATC are all volunteering to do what they do and so there will be time when not many IFATC might be available for a given time

5 Likes

we have more than enough controllers but we all give up our spare time to do so, with school, work and family commitments it’s pretty hard to get frequencies active around the clock.

We do have peak times on when controllers are normally more active which is normally after school hours and in the evenings depending where you are in the world.

PS move this from support to live/atc

2 Likes

Great, thanks for the reply. I appreciate the reply and the time you all volunteer. Cheers.

2 Likes

Hmmm… not really. Last night for FNF I wanted to control but we has 17 controllers online around at least 7 airports. Mad. I suppose people will be more busy in the run up to Christmas with School tests, Christmas shopping/sorting, more busy at work etc.

But, as a rule:

When I want to fly = No controllers
When I want to control = All bigish airports staffed :)

3 Likes

Very simple solution to this.

Switch when you want to fly and control. Simple. :)

11 Likes

Yeah I’ve been noticing no staff Denver International when they have the Denver Region opened ;) but I don’t mind. Our IFATC take time out of their days. So if they can’t make it that’s fine with me. Just them being there means a lot. So I fly where I want and enjoy the company of IFATC when they can.

1 Like

MaxSez: The “Air Space Status” Report sez it all. See the Topic “Air Space Cumulative Report” for a snap shot. It may be dated but it tells the tail.

Question, why do you always do the “maxsez:”? Curious is all.

@Maxmustang

2 Likes

Correct there are over 250 registered ifatc controllers but we usually get 90 or so to open during a week. But many only open once or twice in a week for about an hour. It’s still pretty good, but not enough for 24/7 coverage. However, we control when we want just like you fly when you want. IFATC controllers have the same obligation to control that you have to fly.

1 Like

@AR_AR… MaxSez: A likely story! 250 + FATC’s, one hell of a reserve force. Are they “On Call” or like a reserve Aviator are there qualification hours served or minimums to retain the IFATC title. How about a refresher requirement prior to returning to duty after a 30 day layoff etc. Just curious, plus that 90 a week seems a stretch, I see the same folk all the time! (Gotya, Gotya, Gotya!) LOL.

1 Like

The data is there. I was surprised as well. But if you figure 90 controllers with the majority controlling only an hour or so a week, and there being 24*7=168hrs in a week, we still end up with 30-60hrs of uncontrolled time each week. Definitely the same 5 or so people online any given time each day though. Except people like @anon66442947 who can control all day while ‘working’.

5 Likes

I honestly don’t know how he does it. He must be in charge of something to be able to do that.

But really… we try when we can. I appreciate the people who take the time, even if it’s one hour a week, to control. They put passion and dedication into this program and genuinely want to do it because it’s fun. Great guys and good sports all around.

We understand how important ATC coverage is to everyone, but it’s all done out of our free time. We can’t force somebody to control on a specific day even if it’s due to him or her being lazy. At the end of the day, all of us pay to use the sim too.

I’m not opposed to FDS paying me a salary to control, though. :)

5 Likes

@AR_AR… Your the man Ar. Didn’t mean to cause a mess. I trust you implicitly. I have great trust and confidence in the IFATC. I just like to get there goat for the fun of it from time to time. There an ez target they offend ezly.
Its great to have organizational pride. It reflects the leadership qualities of their guides and mentors. Warm Regards, Max

(@JoshFly8… your ok to Josh!, Regards)

2 Likes

@Maxmustang

524 ATC sessions from the top 36 controllers alone just for last week. It came out to be a total of 512 combined hours between the top 36 controllers. It comes out to be a combined 36,594 ops between the top 36. None of these statistics include all of the other controllers.

This happens on a weekly basis.

3 Likes

Hi, as many of my fellows ATC mate said, we do all our best to offer a good coverage but how you can imagine we have work,school,family,friends,sports etc., I personally give every day 1 or 2 hours of my time to controlling, so be happy and enjoy!
See you in the sky!
P.s. and remember…always follow instructions!

3 Likes

Thanks I know being IFATC is tough

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.