ATC in North Korea

Is there a reason why North Korea is never included on the schedule? I know Pyongyang isn’t the biggest airport but smaller ones have been featured. I also understand that they don’t have a ton of flights but it seems like Pyongyang would be a cool addition to the schedule on a day when Beijing is the main hub.

Thanks!

2 Likes

That could be…controversial…and I would never fly there because its not particularly realistic .

6 Likes

Not really too much diversity there with routes and liveries that can fly into there. It’s also a very sensitive country to talk about for some.

6 Likes

You can PM @Tyler_Shelton and talk to him about it and see if it’d be a possibility, but in all honesty, I don’t see it happening because of the reasons mentioned above.

1 Like

Like I said, it wouldn’t be the hub, but when Beijing is open, there are routes on Air China’s 737.

2 Likes

Yes we know - but Tyler generally chooses airports with a decent destination list - which Pyongyang doesn’t exactly have.

2 Likes

I can see where some of you are coming with the “touchy” to some people, but there are many regions all over the world that are “touchy” subjects and still get featured. I also think this would be an interesting place featured as a secondary airport. 2 runways and enough gates, I can see this as a possibility.

4 Likes

Well. Since I’m Korean myself I don’t find it particularly nice that a country as that is featured.

6 Likes

I can see why it could be touchy, but it being featured doesn’t have to be a political statement any more than the US or Europe being featured is an approval of their governments.

1 Like

I think it would be cool if it at least included in a ATC choice day. If for whatever reason you don’t want to fly there just avoid it. I hear it’s still a cool place to fly, so you don’t need to let what humans are doing to the place ruin it for you.

It actually is realistic to fly to Pyongyang if you fly the Air China 737-700 from Beijing because that’s a real life route.

That’s the only route I think but I also think there’s flights from Shanghai and Vladivostok maybe?

The ATC regions are completely optional. Many regions such as Serbia, Jerusalem, and much more are featured all of which are controversial to some groups. This is completely optional as is 100% up to you whether you fly there or not!

2 Likes

A lot of research goes into the various airports in the schedule.

• Does it fit into the theme of the day
  • Can it handle the large volume of traffic
  • Is there adequate room to taxi planes of all size
  • Has the airport been edited. Is there satellite imagery available?
  • History on the schedule
  • and more…

Tyler often will make the schedule well in advance and makes changes as needed to align with releases or other IF specials. Infinite Flight believes in a world free from political borders.

11 Likes

I think flying to North Korea would be totally fine. This is IF, we are not met to bring politics or likings or dislikings for a country. If people don’t like it they don’t have to attend the region from IFATC. This saying, if this does offend a lot of people, then we don’t have to do it and I will understand 100% if it is offensive. Personally, I think it would be interesting to fly to North Korea. Imagine the interesting charts and approaches.

3 Likes

If it happens to be featured at some point, you have 2 choices.

1. Fly there
  2. Don’t fly there

It’s as simple as that and politics mean nothing here.

3 Likes

“Infinite flight believes in a free open world without flight restrictions” that was the reason for Infinite Flight to not close the airspace above North Korea. That being said, I can’t think of any reason why to not go to North Korea once, it’s just another country with an airport that has a weird layout. On the other hand, it’s just another country:) we should defiently got there once, but to threat it as special? Nah

1 Like

I’ll just bluntly say it…

Not happening. 🙂

Without getting overly political, I try to stay away from global hot spots, whether North Korea for obvious reasons, or other present day war zones. It doesn’t quite sit well with me and would be insensitive to go have fun flying to, from, or over a country that just lobbed a missile at a passenger plane in real life.

Edit: Don’t let that stop you from exploring! We certainly won’t. I’m just not scheduling North Korea in particular. Others will still remain in the rotation sparingly.

18 Likes

Fair enough…

1 Like

Yeah there are, as well as from one other Chinese city I forgot the name of. The problem with them is though, that they are operated by AirKoryo and we don’t have the Livery nor one of their aircraft in IF. Also there was a regular charter flight from Mongolia I believe but I am not certain if it still exists

2 Likes