ATC Feature Request / Observation

This might belong in the feature requests category, but that seems to be pretty pilot centric (vs ATC) so posting here. Feel free to recategorize if appropriate and I’ll note that for the future.

As a new ATC controller, I notice that a lot of pilots report ready for takeoff with the intention to remain in the pattern. In my limited experience (~ 1,100 ops) most of those “remaining in the pattern” in fact depart the airspace. Checking the comms UI from the pilot side “remain in the pattern” is the first option which I think is causing pilots (esp. less experienced pilots) to select that option by default.

Since most pilots are actually not remaining in the pattern, I recommend switching the order to making “departing…” the first option. Psychologically people are prone to pick the first / default option, especially when uncertain.

This would benefit controllers by reducing workload by assigning a pattern direction, providing more info re. departure direction and reducing confusion re. pilots departing when they were in theory remaining in the pattern.

3 Likes

Hello!

We appreciate your post today, but unfortunately in order to post in the #live:va, #live:events, #features and #real-world-aviation categories, you must be Trust Level 2 (TL2-Member)

Keep reading, posting, liking, and following the guidelines and you’ll get there in no time! Also, be sure to search for any similar existing posts before making your own, in order to avoid making a duplicate topic.

Below are some helpful links to get you started. This includes some information regarding trust levels and more importantly the how this forum works. We ask that you please take a look through this important material and understand these posts. A lot of hard works was put into these topics for new members like you. We hope you enjoy your experience here with us. Please don’t hesitate to message a moderator, regular or staff member if you have any questions. And last but not least, have fun! Thanks the help and understanding!!

What do user trust levels do

A beginners guide to the forum

Welcome to the infinite flight community

General forum guidelines

There is already a similar post: