ATC directing out of game area

DELTA 490 Heavy ~ Today~ 12/18/2016 @ approx 10:15AM EST I was flying into TPA on TPA approach and was instructed to fly outside of the games operating area which then shut my throttle down. I had to divert the instructions to keep from splashing in. I was then yelled at by ATC to " follow instructions" multiple times which would have had me crash into the ocean. Please inform this ATC controller of this problem as the flight ahead of me had to do the same maneuver and was also yelled at.

You can leave 10 nm out of the region as long as your in an airport’s airspace if I’m not wrong? (Someone correct me on this)

2 Likes

As you can see in the picture I had to turn back to a heading of 256 to survive. My throttle was shut down as i followed ATC as directed ~ Heading 280. I was unable to get a picture of the throttle being shut down as I was trying not to crash

Looks perfectly fine on Ghamz part. You are allowed to be vectored outside of the map if an IFATC has you handelded. He must have just not realized exactly how far he’d made you go out. There’s no reason to create a thread. Message the controller and ask him. Case closed.

3 Likes

Obviously he did not know that he had vectored me outside of the games operating area. I figured on the expert level this would have been a known no go area. I was sent " please follow instructions" at least twice as was trying to survive. Next he might have violated or ghosted me for not following instructions, Sounds to me like the controller needs some more training on this issue.
And, how do I msg the controller directly?

Controllers can’t see the point where throttle gets cut. Sorry for the inconvenience.

1 Like

@GHamsz
Please read this post and see that I was outside of the games operating area aqand had to divert from your instructions so not to crash when throttle was cut.

My bad… I realized after a number of pilots turned toward the field that I may have taken some too far out…

I was turning folks when they were even with the end of the ILS cone, but when it gets busy, I believe some pilots listen for the audio command which can be delayed significantly. As s result, even though I turn someone when they are even with the cone, many flew straight 5 more miles before turning. This causes me to delay turning the next plane, resulting in the line extending further than I wanted.

2 Likes

I also noticed some people’s speed dropping dramatically when they turned to the field which made me realize what was going on. Sorry for the inconvenience

3 Likes

Unless the out of bounds is increased, you won’t see me on approach there again!

1 Like

Or if the winds change

The ATC are allowed to do this. There is ne’er useally an issue it depends how expireienced your controller is. If they have done KTPA many times they will know where the boundaries are if not they are learning just like you will be. Everyone is human, everyone makes mistakes.

That was definitely a learning experience!

2 Likes

MaxSez: it should be blatantly obvious that a Runway with a cardinal direction extending into dead space should not be used as the active. Just Change the end of rway lights to yellow, use the cross wind red in moderate winds or Close the dang thing. That’s a Max solution. What say you @AR_AR.

4 Likes

I’ve asked to see if we can extend out of bounds… look how close he is to the end of the cone… out of bounds should extend further out in my opinion.

1 Like

@GHamsz. Max does not agree. The boundary should be reduced. The boundary is like an ADIZ, cross it at your peril. The shut dow nboundary is an anti-fraud measure for the malcontents.

1 Like

Global will resolve this

2 Likes

TPA APP RWY 19. My fear as an APP controller :P

3 Likes

But when there is winds over 15KT, you should not use a closed runway.

• But yes, I only do APP at TPA when the 01s is active.

Depends on the vector.

1 Like