ATC comms static noise

The ATC communication system we have right now in IF is amazing although is not an accurate representation of real life ATC communication. In real life, the system uses radio waves which, depending on a lot of factors, static noise of various levels during transmission. But in IF, we have only a linear and clean voice transmission which is not a very good resemblance of real world ATC radio communications.

A good example of radio static noise in ATC comms would be this video. Compare the radio comms in this video with the comms we have currently in IF. You’ll notice that there is a lot of noise in the comms compared to the perfect studio-quality comms we have in IF.

Also, the amount of noise also varies depending on weather conditions, terrain etc. So for example, the ground frequency might not experience as much static noise in it’s communication as much as maybe approach frequency working with aircraft who are for example flying around storm clouds. To replicate this, we could have several presets of noise filters of varying noise intensity levels available which would be automatically implemented according to the airport METAR the aircraft is in or flying into.

1 Like

Alot of that static is the recording stuff. It’s not usually that bad in real life

6 Likes

Come on!do you know how many users are not from English language?for many of them is already hard to understand,can you imagine if is not clear like now?i think is amazing like now!

6 Likes

As much as it would add to the realism, I would have to pass on this.

More noise means more data in the sound file. More data means larger sound file. Larger file could lead to more delay when playing the sound. We already have a computer voice for the commands and in super busy frequencies already have a 30-60 second gap between when pilots see messages and when they hear them. This would add to that.

Personally I think there are other things that would further realism than static.

6 Likes

Some pilots must already be experiencing frequency aliasing, which makes understanding and following instructions difficult, if not impossible. No need to add any more “noise” to the communications!

4 Likes

I like this idea it would add allot of realism to infinite flight.

1 Like

In real life ATC we do not have static because we use squelch features on the radios

2 Likes

I would recommend voting for your own feature request :)

I’d rather have it closed 😅 because according to reports from people who work with these radios, the static noise is only when they radio transmissions are recorded by two way channels etc and isn’t really noticeable IRL.

4 Likes