ATC and Go Around Query

Hi,
I have been flying IF since 2015. Only recently did I start playing Global/Live. I am confused a lot about ATC terminologies (terms like remaining in pattern) and looking for a comprehensive guide for it. I did watch Mark Denton’s video but found it to be basic.

Secondly, I find it challenging to remain on my original flight plan/line up with the runway when I perform a go-around(the pink line of the FPL turns white and the whole approach goes haywire). What is the best practice around this?

1 Like

When you need to initiate a go around, immediately deactivate the LNAV / APPR which will allow you to maintain your current heading. Simultaneously, initiate an ascent while on this path.

3 Likes

Remaining in the pattern means you will be landing at the same airport again, if you are headed somewhere else then use the direction command or straight out

4 Likes

One thing I would like to add. There is a great program run by some IF experts that can help you one on one. Check them out here:

4 Likes

Go around is when the runway is considered foul or unsafe to be used for landing, or when using a visual/vfr approach to try another approach. It’s issued by the controller or said by the pilot and will usually be followed by instructions from ATC. Executing missed approach is when you mess up your instrument approach (too high/low or left/right). A go around is not a good thing so it’s understandable it messes up your approach.

Remaining in the pattern is usually used when you would like to do touch and goes at the same airport by entering left/right downwind as directed by ATC.

1 Like

Yeah everyone provided some really great answers here. If you ever wanna know more visit the #tutorials were you can learn it all from a-z

1 Like