Aspen (KASE) Runway 33 Approach Tutorial!

Hey everybody,
Simon back with something you should definitely check out if you’re a fan of fancy approaches, just like me! ;)

Usually Aspen Pitkins County Airport (KASE/ASE) is approached on RW 15, so I was like: “You know what, I’m gonna land from the other side” and I just wanted to share this with you. If you are looking for an approach tutorial for this runway, you’ve come to the right place, my friend! ;)
If you are a newer pilot (not too experienced yet) this approach is veeery difficult, but if you are playing IF for a longer time already, you will definitely be able to land safely.

Without further a do here’s what the approach roughly looks like:

If you choose “Denver”- “Aspen Pitkins Co Sardy Fld” - “Runway 33” - “Landing” you will be somewhere in the mountains. I am going to demonstrate the approach with an Embraer E190, you can use any Airplane that is smaller than a 737-800, bigger airplanes are - as far as I know - not allowed to land here!

Fly along the mountain on your right and don’t sink (keep your altitude!), because you’re only a few hundred feet above ground level. (Tip: Make sure to insert Altitude AGL in your Info Bar to approach safer! // Keep your Airspeed on the whole approach between 145 and 130kts, it depends on your aircraft and its load)

When the ground level has increased and the ground is further away we make our first turn (I) to gain distance from the mountain on our right. (Heading ~320°)

As we finished our first turn fly with Heading 320 a bit and check your right side for terrian.
When the right side is clear and there’s no dangerous terrain anymore (view map above!) we make our second turn (II). This is also where the approach into KASE becomes really crazy.

Make a turn until Heading 105 and always sink about 900 ft/m until you’re heading to 105°. You don’t have to make a very small turn, have a look at the map above to get a slight idea how big the turn has to be.

As you’ve finsihed your turn try to keep your altitude and fly with Heading 105 until you get close to the plateau in front of you.

The next turn is the most dangerous and difficult in this approach (III). It is a 216° turn and the valley you have to make the turn in is not very spacey.
Make sure you fly close but not too close to the mountain in front of you and start your turn!
At the end of your turn you should be heading to 321°.
Keep the Vertical Speed between 1500 and 3000 ft/m!

(GEAR DOWN!)

After turn III you keep Heading 321° and make sure the Altitude AGL does not sink below 700ft!

Our final turns form a S-Combination, which means that we make a left turn and a right turn after that.
Now you can decide how big you want to have your first turn.

• If you make the first turn small you will have more time to direct your plane onto the runway after the second turn (RWY 33 does not have Precision Approach Path Indicators!)

• If you make the first turn very big, the second one will be a lot smaller and you have to line up on the runway with very small space. If you’re too far away on either side after the final turn you will have to make a go-around!

I would personally recommend making the first turn small - medium-sized!

As soon as your left side is free from dangerous terrain start your turn which should end with Heading 290° - 295°!

As soon as the runway and the touchdown zone is clearly in sight it’s a normal landing.
Start your final turn (V) at the right time and do a usual landing.

As you probably recognize if you look at the overview map above, the S-combination at the end of our approach starts over the city of Aspen, which means that our final approach goes over a city. And this makes the approach even more dangerous. In InfiniteFlight that’s no big deal because there are no 3D buildings, but you should keep in mind you’re flying an approach only a few hundred feet over a big city ;)

I hope this Tutorial was helpful and interesting!
Make sure to leave your feedback, try this approach on your own and have fun with this literally breathtaking approach!

BavariaAviation sincerely :)

33 Likes

Do you want to make this also for KPSP?

8 Likes

Maybe, depends on how many people liked this ;)

3 Likes

I believe 737’s can’t land at Aspen, at least in real life they can’t.

1 Like

Suggest you follow the FPL unless you want to end up like this:

13 Likes

Their is only one approach for 33 and that isn’t it. And it’s for a smaller plane I don’t recommend this approach 15 is the only run way for approach and 33 is the only runway for departures

I know that runway 33 is not for landings but I just for fun created this approach. In real life this would definitely not be allowed to be flown given the approach heads over the city of Aspen, but this is just for fun.

1 Like

Their is one approach for 33 for VFR traffic called the back door approach but it comes in from the left along the mountain range.

I like it. I have landed 33 before and it would have been much easier if I had this at my disposal. I believe 737’s are allowed, and so are 757’s but nothing bigger than a 757. I would rather use 33 for arrivals and departures myself but can see the approach at 33 giving too many trouble.

What’s up with the black tiles on the ground?

Nice landing!

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

3 Likes

You sir are correct. Wingspan restriction of 95ft and weight restriction of 100,000 lbs

1 Like

@B767fan
Thank you!

1 Like

Actually a pretty fun approach, landed soft and safely. :)

Aspen, CO is not a big city, just a small ski town.

Why does your display have that weird black grid over the terrain?

@MitchellJames I have no idea, but so far, I’ve thought that they are common.
Must have something to do with my device…

@GolferRyan yeah, I know in the meantime ;) Thanks, though!

This is like more complicated than Toncontin.

2 Likes

Is anyone interestes in a second Tutorial like this?

4 Likes