Ask A... - Get Answers to Your Aviation Questions

Welcome to Ask A…

Here, you can ask questions about aviation, and other members will answer you!

Rules

No inappropriate questions
Keep questions aviation-related
More rules may be added in the future :)

Examples

What is the daily life of a [insert profession here] like?
How do you go about obtaining [insert career, diploma, etc]?
What are some tips on succeeding at [insert program, exam, etc]

I hope this thread will be of use to some, and will allow people’s questions to be answered while letting others share their passion!

If you have questions, ask away!
If you are willing to answer questions, feel free to post a few sentences describing you and your situation/achievements/career etc in the comments!

Thank you
Robertine

13 Likes

What is the most common way pilots gain flight hours so they can fly for commercial airlines?

1 Like

Mostly flight training around here but also flying for lower hour requirement jobs like JSX is also common in Dallas, they require around 750 hours

2 Likes

I’ve heard that many pilots go to a college to learn from an instructor to gain hours. After they graduate, they often turn around and become a flight instructor at that college to gain even more hours. It’s a good strategy to gain lots of time.

5 Likes

OK, thanks @Ethan_Brown and @Wonderousbuilder641!

3 Likes

I’ll start I guess :)

Hi everyone! I’m Robertine and I live in France. I have been planespotting for 5 years and am a student pilot, training on the Robin DR400. I have obtained the BIA and FWA diplomas and am working on my PPL. Feel free to ask me anything :)

1 Like

If anyone here is a professional airline pilot, where do you go at the end of a plane shift?

1 Like

Walk around then to the terminal

1 Like

like do you take a flight home, or do you stay at some sort of base?

1 Like

well depends on how many hours was your flight if its more than 4 hours you usually just stay in a hotel given by the airline,
if it was less than the 4 hours you fly back home on the same day.

1 Like

ok, thanks!

2 Likes

depends on the trip kind of.

My parents work 3 day trips, meaning they are gone for a full three days. where crew scheduling and their schedule determines what city they will finish their day in. then there are usually designated crew hotels within that city that the crew stays at for the night

2 Likes

@AviationFreak @UAE thanks for the info!

2 Likes

Hi I’m Butter575 and I exist

6 Likes

In airlines that permit the use of both Flaps 30 and 40 for landing the 737-800, what is an approximate “cutoff” runway length (if any) where Flaps 40 is mandated and Flaps 30 no longer permitted regardless of aircraft weight?

1 Like

lol, i guess thats an achievement for those who are feeling low

2 Likes

Private Pilot. Worked as a ramp agent for a major US carrier and currently work as line technician at an FBO. Fill free to ask me questions regarding those subjects in this thread or dm.

2 Likes

What do you do as a line technician?

1 Like

Things are very different now than it was 10 yrs ago. Now after your commercial license you can easily get:

Part 135/91 job flying some really nice planes for decent pay.

Do pipeline or survey job

Work for plane dealer and deliver new or new planes to the new owners.

OR

the generic route is get your CFI and instruct to build time.

2 Likes

Depends on how long my layover is. If it’s min rest I go straight to the hotel, eat and go to sleep. If I have 24-80hrs layover then go to the hotel, go out to eat, hangout with the crew. The next day with the crew or alone I go on hikes, bicycle rides around the city or go to town, go to the beach etc. if it’s a long over night I would take bus or train to another city the next day early am to explore alone or with the crew.

2 Likes