Are pilots heroes, or well trained?

After every aviation incident, it seems like the pilots are either the hero’s, or the cause, that’s mostly true, but do you think some of these hero pilots are simply well trained? Or do you think that it’s truly something special that they handle these incidents? (Not to discredit what they did, and not about any specific incident, just generally…)

9 Likes

I think they have a general knowledge of how to act in an insider, however, it is not the same a training and real life, that means that even though they are trained to overcome these situations, that does not take away the fact that they are heroes for achieving to avoid that the insidente arrives at the death of passenger

2 Likes

They are very well trained and are highly skilled in dealing with incidents but take Sully for example he’s a real hero you can’t argue that.

2 Likes

To me they are well trained. If I’m not mistaken certain incidents they have an idea how to handle without fear because of the work of the simulators. At the same time they are hero’s because they remain calm under tremendous amounts of pressure.

4 Likes

I feel like they are both. They are heroes in situations where they get the plane down safely after an emergency, but they also obviously have to be well trained.

They way I look at it is, no matter the amount of training that someone can receive it will never prepare them mentally for a serious emergency on board an aircraft.

What I mean by this is that when you are training, you know you are in a simulator and that you can make mistakes, but when it happens when you are actually 30,000+ feet in the air, the brain would naturally react differently.

2 Likes

well, I would say that the good training that the pilots receive and the preparation of each flight in case something goes wrong and above all the enormous responsibility that they have that is the safety of flight, simply the fact that they take you from the point A for B in safety makes them heroes

1 Like

Pilots do a great job in those situations. This is mainly down to training as they practice scenarios in the simulator over and over again. They are perceived as heroes by the media and the general population because they have saved lives. Even if it was just a minor incident, passengers are still likely to be fearing for their lives so when they get on the ground safely they are praising the pilots as heroes as without them they wouldn’t be there. The fact that any other pilot would have done the same doesn’t cross their minds. So yes they are heroes bur only because of how trained they are.

2 Likes

We are trained exceptionally well and for a reason, we want to be ready when shit hits the fan.

We train mainly in simulator, handling minor failures, to multiple major failures, including but not limited to:

• Dual Hydraulic failures
  • Flight controls failures
  • Cabin Decompression
  • Engine failures on takeoff
  • Engine failures on go around
  • Bad weather
  • Etc etc etc…

But! We go to the simulator knowing something’s going to fail. In real life, things happen when you expect them the least and even a simple Go Around or a traffic alert may catch you off guard. The ability to quickly react even when you’re obviously not expecting something is what makes a pilot a great one.

We have drills and memory items that we have to know by heart for certain situations.

Real life events may differ from what we practice though, I’m pretty sure Sully didn’t practice a dual engine failure at 1000ft AGL after takeoff in the simulator.

10 Likes

Pilots are the last line of defense of a threat. That’s why we recognize pilots so much. Even with so many other people affecting the safety of a flight, the last person to stop the danger is the one with 4 bananas on his shoulders at the nose of the metal bird.

Dispatchers, Mechanics and even Flight Ops Managers are all also very responsible for the safety of a flight.

3 Likes

Captain Sully said that “I’m not a hero. I was just doing my job.”

I think that while they are trained to handle potentially fatal emergencies, the fact that they can handle them makes them a hero.

1 Like

Pilots often won’t say this. But when a pilot is fighting an emergency, especially one like Sully’s, he has his life in mind more than the passengers’, hero or not, we want to survive, that’s natural behavior for any human.

When flying, we sometimes forget we have passengers in the back, we do our things and we’re in our ‘’bubble’’. In an emergency this becomes even more real, the cockpit becomes a small bubble where teamwork and communication are crucial, so we tend to ’’forget’’ that we have people in the back.

2 Likes

It depends how you define a hero. If you define a hero as someone who does something that saves a life or lives then, yes. The training that pilots undergo allows them to handle situations that could otherwise be deadly.

1 Like

I’d say during an extreme emergency, pilots can be true heroes. You save the lives of everyone on board, so you should be considered a hero.

1 Like

Well they can fly…superman can fly…

6 Likes

That deserves a nomination for best coment of the year and it’s only January… 😂

3 Likes

Pilots are highly trained, skilled heavy machinery operators. Now, if they can use that training and instinct to save many lives from being lost, that’s heroic

2 Likes

if you are referring to @Patria I also found this very funny I can not stop laughing after seeing this comment

2 Likes

Pilots are everyday heroes

2 Likes

pilots are just every day people doing a job they like

plus if I was a super hero where’s my cape?!

2 Likes

In the post. Its pink with “I ❤ Helo’s” on the back. I want it back after your fancy dress party though haha

2 Likes