Are assault landings legal to do on the expert server?

Basically just a quick question because I don’t want to get ghosted for doing such an unorthodox maneuver.

6 Likes

assault landing = acrobatics ?
If yes, prohibed

4 Likes

Personally, I don’t see a problem with it, but (there’s always a but) you might want to exercise caution if traffic is close behind you. When you execute the maneuver, your ground speed is going to drop, and a following aircraft could have problems maintaining separation. Off hand, that’s the only issue I see with it, but let’s see what some others have to say about it.

6 Likes

Ive done it lots of times…I’ve got no ghost by any controller…also u d naturally get a violation if u c that warning msg on top…as long as it doesn’t pop…I’m sure ure good to go

1 Like

not problem with the angle?

1 Like

As far as acrobatic violation? I haven’t had an issue.
From the controller standpoint, we’ll just see an unusual altitude, but I won’t have a problem with it unless someone is trailing you 3mi back.

3 Likes

If it’s very busy, and you’re being packed in, I would avoid it. If you’ve got good separation between you and the trailing aircraft, I say have at it!

4 Likes

This is good feedback. Thanks guys. I’ve only been practicing this landing on the casual server. I personally don’t think it is aerobatics due to the fact that it is simply a method used by the military. But you know…

MaxSez: “Assault” is the operative term, and such a Landing is not unorthodox! Why on earth would you practice an Assult Landing at a Controlled Civil Airfield unless your 12 years old or a Peanut.
You do AL’s in the dirt or a military field like SoCals 29 Palms. Next…

(If I where an IFATC I’d GHOST you twice at a civil field, One for safety of flight and one for being stupid)

(@Joe… Somebody need to make a ruling on 130 Assault Landings at Controlled Fields. This is a sequence buster at high tempo aerodrome)

15 Likes

Ok, first of all, why are you responding as if I just insulted your entire family and your existence. Second I did not specify what type of airfield I would be performing this at so why are you saying civil airport. Next time could you please respond in a more civilized manner because I am asking the question for answers not insults. Thanks.

9 Likes

@CaptainJC… it’s all in the eye of the beholder young man, no insult intended.
Just the facts, Max

3 Likes

Not necessary but sure, whatever you say man.

4 Likes

Unless I’m told otherwise, and as long as you follow my recommendations above, I won’t ghost you.

3 Likes

asking questions around these parts can be dangerous. :/ if you don’t say one thing right or don’t know as much as all the expert aviators you’re just a stupid peanut. Blue Skies!

4 Likes

I couldn’t care less, honestly. The only reason anyone will ever get ghosted is if they’re interfering with traffic.

I don’t care if you do an unrestricted climb. I don’t care if you do an assault approach. I don’t care if you do a barrel roll. Tons of people do it all the time with Spits, C130s, 748s, and the like. As long as you be considerate of other pilots, you will be absolutely fine. Not doing it with traffic 2.5 miles behind you is a good example, for instance.

There are plenty of maneuvers that planes will only do at a towered airport when little to no traffic is in the area due to circumstances. Just apply common sense.

6 Likes

If it’s busy and spacing is tight I’d say it’s a bad idea. If you’re on the ILS you can’t do it because you are following the glideslope. If it isn’t busy and you’re flying a visual or you’re at an uncontrolled field, I don’t see a problem.

5 Likes

I personally dont like it. Takes my realism away if i’m holding short in LAX 24L and suddenly a c130 does an assault landing. I would say they can do them on military airfields, but in commercial airport all c130 should land normally.

This is my opinion only, if FDS decides to allow them there is nothing more to say just to respect the decision.

6 Likes

I don’t really see any big deal, when you follow instructions and land safely I don’t care. Just remember your gear, @GHamsz. It’s fun, challenging and hard to do. As long as you follow instructions from the ATC I don’t care about it, and wouldn’t ghost for it. If the pilot breaks and not follows my instructions that is another story. But if the pilot follows my instructions I couldn’t care less if he came from 5000ft 1nm, or 3000ft 10nm out.

2 Likes

Thanks guys for the replies. I appreciate the help

2 Likes

Very true. It happens to often.