Approaching Minimums

In a video that showed a 747 landing from the cockpit, I heard the same voice calling out altitude information as in IF.
At some point I heard “Approaching minimums”.
Is that a standard call out, or does it only apply to the 747.
I was just wondering why it’s not in IF.
When it doesn’t apply to all aircraft, that would probably be the reason.

6 Likes

I think it applies to multiple aircraft, not sure though.
There’s already been a request on better GPWS but I think this is just a question (?)

1 Like

Yup, just a question.
I’m staying out of #features for a while.

I need to look up GPWS now. 😉

Ah! ground proximity warning system!

1 Like

Standard callout or now most planes will just say Minimums…the pilot is supposed to say “Continue” and proceed with landing unless the PIC decides otherwise

1 Like

Some planes will say ‘100 above’ which is 100 feet above decision height or minimums

1 Like

As already mentioned it is a standard callout. The problem, and probably the reason why it’s not featured in IF is that minimums are, as far as I know, different for every runway, aircraft weight category and might vary for different kind of approaches (VOR, ILS and its different categories etc.), so quite a lot of program work. It might be possible with a general minimum value for IF (e.g. 200ft AGL), it would be a nice feature indeed :)

1 Like

This is much more complex than you may think. Decision heights (as well as the “Approaching Minimums”, “Hundred Above” or “Plus Hundred” callouts) vary according to the type of approach.

6 Likes

Minimums is an altitude that after getting below, it’s dangerous to abort landing or go around.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.