Approach vs Tower

I want some advice from someone who is IFATC. I’m on approach to Palm Springs Int. and I have called Palm Springs APP. who is giving me altitude and speed adjustments. Then I receive an on guard warning from tower that I’m in an active airspace and that I should contact them. I thought that approach handed me off to tower. Instead I’m trying to figure out if I should stay with approach to continue my corrections and wait to be handed off or cut approach off and contact tower. How do I handle this situation. It WAS in the training 1 server so I figured it was inexperience. I was also receiving on guard warnings from ground when I was still in the air.

6 Likes

I’m not IFATC (yet) but it’s the training server. The tower controller didn’t realize there was an active approach controller. Ignore tower requests until you’ve been handed off.

4 Likes

Just sounds like inexperience on the tower/ground controller’s part. It can be easy to miss the notifications of various stations opening and closing on TS1 as well. Sounds like you worked through it ok enough.

1 Like

That’s what I figured. Thank you. Good luck on becoming IFATC. We need more of you guys out there. When I hop in the expert server it seems like there are only a few of them out there.

2 Likes

Well I think a moderator can close this one out. Got the info I needed. Thanks guys.

Hi,I assume that this is in TS,so no very experienced comtrollers.
In Expert Server is different,when you’re on approach frequency you have to follow all instructions and wait until controller give you a clearence and give you a switch to Tower frequency.
Hopefully this helps you.
Marcello M
//IFATC OFFICER

8 Likes

ATCs in SoCal TS1 change very fast… KNUC or KSAN Tower/Ground could open and close for 3 times in 5 minutes and every time with different people! ATCs recieve such notifications, but when there are a lot of planes to watch in the area, the Tower ATC could just not notice that the approach atc has joined him.

2 Likes

If you get inexperienced atc you should in theory only stay on approach frequency until you are no less than 10nm from the runway. I usually change at 11nm out so I have more time for adjustments

1 Like

Yea, one time I called inbound and the controller kept on saying, “Tower is not accepting pattern work at this time” what the heck!

1 Like

To reiterate what Marcello said. You should only be changing frequency when prompted to by the approach controller, not when you feel you’re close enough. Please when on expert server do not switch to tower frequency on your own accord, approach will hand you off when they are happy with your intercept.

2 Likes

Then I guard and ghost you 😈

1 Like

I wouldnt do it on the expert server, i do it on the training server when they dont give me the handoff (most of the time)

Well,I think you are wrong…take care about that.

1 Like

I think that for controllers who practise seriously in TS, that’s something you should refrain from doing.

1 Like

For all controllers.

If they haven’t handed you off, request a freq change.

Just not three milliseconds after clearance…that’s annoying.

2 Likes

I was departing from KLAX and the tower kept clearing me for landing

2 Likes

Welcome to TS1. Enjoy your stay.

2 Likes

Until Approach clears you for final and the last turn then says frequency change approved contact XX on xxx.x you stay on APP.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.