Approach Tip

Out of curiosity, what are pilots supposed to do when you are tuned to Approach freq and you have been forgotten to be given further instructions. Divert? it’s understandable when you have 50+ arrivals for same destination and it can become easy for controllers to forget giving instructions to one pilot.

Not that it has happened to me. I have recently seen quite few posts from pilots who have experienced it.

2 Likes

I just send another message to remind them I’m approaching. Since they seem to remember they forgot me I don’t get yelled at so yea

1 Like

Good question my man.
While it’s very unlikely to happen it still indeed can. Just make sure to “Check-in” if you have the feeling you’re ‘forgotten’. If you still do not recieve any vectors, divert to a near airport. As you said, sometimes it gets really busy for ATC!

3 Likes

Don’t do this. By checking in it actually means you will be proceeding on course to your destination. Just be patient and they’ll get to you. If not over a few minutes and it’s obvious they may of forgotten send your intentions again.

2 Likes

Some might experience this on training server where non IFATC train to become expert controllers.

In case it happens on ES, it’s either pilots are too anxious and thought they’ve been forgotten when they were intentionally vectored away, or approach controller closed the facility and they didn’t notice. But if you 100% sure you’ve been forgotten due to the large amount of inbounds, a check in wouldn’t hurt :) but only as a last resort!

Regards

O

4 Likes

One pilot got ghosted for sending another inbound message to controller.

2 Likes

Fair point. It’s debatable though ;)

Not really. Checking in is just like requesting flight following to your destination when your actually supposed to request radar vector or request an approach.

1 Like

For mine I wait a few minutes but also you could look on the map to see what pattern the other planes are flying and follow one

I personally think checking in is fine if you think they’ve forgotten about you. Yes, technically it means you’re requesting flight following, but when you switch from one approach frequency to another you’re supposed to check in, so i think it would apply in this instance too. What else are you meant to say? I think it’s better than requesting another approach.

2 Likes

Touché my friend :)

I think you should restate your intentions as you won’t be doing any flight following and your actually doing an approach. It’s almost like requesting for something your not going to do to get their attention. That’s why I’d restate my intentions so they know what I want to do and that I’m on their freq. Saves a few clicks. :)
(Only restate after some minutes pass and you’ll start flying near aircraft they should notice you by that time)

1 Like

Don’t restate your intentions, it got me gohsted.

1 Like

It really depends on how long you think you’ve been “forgotten”. There will be times when controllers intentionally vector you away to establish some sanity in the airspace and there can be times when they forget about you. They are human so it happens. If you’re flying 100 miles away at 3k feet, then I would say it’s fair game to check in. I wouldn’t mind it in this case. Just use fair judgment when going about it and do not spam. If you opt to divert to another field, you could change your FPL and then request flight following there. Hope I answered your question.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.