Approach speed

Have been controlling EDDB approach and local today, I don’t know how many times it’s been said, the reason you are missing the glide slope is you are going to fast, why oh why do some need to be 230 KTS+ on base, it’s not a race slow down and enjoy. I shouldn’t be telling you to slow down, it’s probably why there is alot of missed approach or go arounds, so please slow down.

7 Likes

I mean depending on the size of the base, that would seem about right.

@Topgottem 230kts on base is too fast. You want to be around 180-200kts on base.

1 Like

Yeah well said

1 Like

Not necessarily true but O K

It’s true. At high elevation airports (Mexico city, Denver, Bogotá, etc) you need to be even slower. Otherwise, you’re going to overshoot when turning to final and cause a headache.

2 Likes

Also please slow down and give some space for departures, 190kts on final is wayyyyyy tooooooo fast, please.

1 Like

Its not. 180kts on final is typical for the MD-11

Not necessarily. Maybe if you’re just entering the cone yeah sure. However, if you’re on a short final, the max airspeed you’re recommended to fly is at most 160 knots.

Yea no. With a due respect,

I have mastered the md11 extensively and know all the irl procedures. Its 180.

You correct for other aircraft but the md11 is different on that end

“For example, the approach speed (Vapp) for the MD-11 at maximum landing weight (213.8 tons) is around 168 knots , give or take 1-2 knots.” Source

@Topgottem At the maximum landing weight, not just like 40% load but as heavy as allowed, the approach speed is about 168 knots, nowhere near 180. 180 would probably be good until the outer marker and by that point you need to reduce speed to a reasonable amount. The MD-11 does have a higher than normal landing speed but in exclusive cases it’d never be that fast.

Don’t get me wrong, you’ve totally mastered the MD-11, but the only time I’d call 180 knots on final appropriate would be at a high-elevation airport.

Threads for more info: What is the range of landing speeds for the MD-11? - Airliners.net; The MD-11 has the highest landing speeds of any transport category aircraft | The Lounge Board

1 Like

Yes but in IF the Physics don’t totally work for that

Its 180kts @ load 28% @ 11nm final

1 Like

To be honest I don’t really know what v1, vapp v2 ect is. I just base speeds off the action. Like flare, when to pitch ect

Here are the correct operations for the MD-11 when flying

Final operations:

*Localizer intercept speed….180kts

*Localizer intercept flaps……28°

*Localizer intercept trim………65%

Pattern speed…………………….235kts (downwind)

Pattern flaps………………………15°

Pattern trim…………………………45%

Landing operations:

*Min. runway requirement……3,800ft

Landing speed range………….138kts-142kts

*Landing speed base………….138kts

*Landing flaps…………………….50°

Landing trim range………….……65%-75% (higher alt = more trim)

*Landing trim base………………65%

1 Like

Well this is localizer intercept speed, around 10 nm from the threshold. That differs from approach speed, which is lower

V1 is basically the speed from which you cannot abort your takeoff.

V2 is the engine-out speed, which is pretty much how fast you can climb with one engine only.

Vapp is the approach speed

2 Likes

I thought the localizer was the approach

Isent there v3?

It is a part of the approach (ILS specifically)

The interception of the local. is what’s being referred to here.

That is the flap retraction speed

1 Like