Approach Reminders

Hi,

A reminder if you contact approach at an airport. All info here is in training material, I am referencing some quick points to make your experience as positive as possible.

To begin, call in 50 or more nm from an airport at or below 18000 feet msl. If you do not, you may be asked to hold someplace to descend to where we need you.

Please add “50nm” to your descent profile to descending to 18000, 12000, or 11000 so that you’ll be at the right altitude for approach to vector you in. If you don’t you may get a hold location so that you can descend at that location and once at the appropriate altitude vectored in for landing.

Do not take off from an airport that is less than 25nm from the airport you are landing at. If you do you will likely be denied. Do not ask for entry again, you will be in danger of being reported for spamming.

Do not ask for landing at the same airport you just took off from if no patterns is active. You will definately be denied entry. Do not ask for entry again, you will be in danger of being reported for spamming.

On downwind, fly at 210kts speed and when on base fly at 180kts. If you can of course.

When asking for flight following you do not need to ask for an altitude.

If you have a go around requirement from tower, announce missed approach when you contact approach again so we can prioritize you accordingly.

Finally, please follow all instructions given and be patient, where you are vectored is so that we can insert you into the sequence. When is a good time to call, if you were 30nm from the airport and then vectored away and you reach 50nm, a reminder would be understood. Use the with you option and we will respond accordingly.

We want to get you in and will work hard to do so quickly and safely, please be patient. Just as we are with you, please be the same with us.

Have fun and happy flying everyone,
Adam

38 Likes

Isnt it at or below 18,000?

2 Likes

Thank you very very much, this has been updated. You rock!

Happy Holidays,
Adam

3 Likes

There, I been wondering for a long time.

1 Like

We want to insure that others from airports of greater than that are able to get in efficiently given the effort they put in to get there. It’s the least we could ask.

2 Likes

Putting this up again, 90 percent was awesome today at below FL 180 call ins. What was really bad were the tons of locals and planes requesting pattern work even though patterns were off. Please klax will be insane today, take off from something as far as ksan. It’s 30 minutes of your time and you won’t be denied entry, please please keep this in mind. I personally love bringing you in and want to but I can’t prioritize you over someone who took the little extra time to fly in.

3 Likes

Excellent example of what NOT to do on a busy airport

And then he decided not to make the final turn 🙄

11 Likes

This rule never made any sense to me. Why can’t we be vectored to the back of the line rather than denied?

We? 🤔
Technically he can, and often he will.
The problem is not necessarily that he takes off in a close airport and makes a very unrealistic flight, but often these pilots expect a direct entry into their destination airport and when they don’t get this, the controller gets Unable or the pilot doesn’t follow instructions. And when you warn them, they often quit and give up. It’s just an extra battle you don’t need on a busy airport.

And then, really…taking off in a 777 on an airport 20NM away?

5 Likes

Ferry flights do exist in real life, they are not that uncommon when you have cities with several major airports in close proximity to each other (NY, London, Los Angelas, Chicago, Washington DC being good examples).

Would you care if that such pilot was willing to wait in the long approach line rather than a direct entry?

Real life and practicality are two separate things in Infinite Flight. If it’s absolutely snowed, you’re most likely to be turned away. If it’s moderately busy, I like to put locals in a holding pattern and usually take them when I can fit them in. Not sure what other controllers do, but there’s multiple ways to fit locals in if possible. We try to accommodate as many as we can, but at the end of the day, it’s just not practical sometimes.

Use your best judgement, if it looks like there’s too many aircraft in the airspace, chances are there are. Don’t be that guy.

3 Likes

That’s reasonable.

Updated post to include descent profile before contacting approach.

Please add “50nm” to your descent profile to descending to 18000, 12000, or 11000 so that you’ll be at the right altitude for approach to vector you in. If you don’t you may get a hold location so that you can descend at that location and once at the appropriate altitude vectored in for landing.

1 Like

This is not a consensus or a rule, it’s more at the controllers’ discretion. I don’t mind if you come in from 35nm+ away in any scenario.

We can’t reach all Infinite Flight users but I’d ask if you do attempt to fly into my airspace within 35nm, please be aware of who is above you and if you will be an immediate conflict upon takeoff. That’s the only reason why it will annoy me, I can’t be constantly reacting to random multiple unnecessary conflicts in a busy airspace.

2 Likes

@Adam_Macaulay I’d say editing this to WITHIN 50nm will make it clearer for people reading. Here it sound as if they should be calling before they’re 50mn from an airport.

That’s what he means… at 50nm is where we start onguarding because we really need you on the frequency. In busy airspaces we might like if you contact slightly earlier. The best thing to do is as soon as you can access the frequency, tune in. Then wait until a bit before 50nm to ask for vectoring.

1 Like

Thanks, this was modified to the lowest that anyone within the group cleared for.

Oh I see! I was always under the impression we had to be inside 50nm to contact. Is there no maximum distance then?

2 Likes

Not really. Only the technical maximum which is where you can actually tune in. So you can’t tune in from 300nm because you won’t see the frequency. Other than that you can contact wherever you want really. Not that it’s good (since then we have people contacting at very different distances) but that’s how it works. The thing I said about tuning in but waiting to ask for vectors is good in my opinion because like that you won’t overload the controller with a massive area to control but if he needs you earlier he can contact you. (We’re not allowed to onguard you before 50nm… but there you’d already be on our frequency)

2 Likes

Ahhh okay that makes sense, thank you! @Captain_Zen, @Adam_Macaulay, after having checked in, would you recommend waiting to be asked for intentions or requesting vectors?

2 Likes