Approach question

When should lower flaps to full on approach? When should I lower gear? When should extend spoilers to flight and when should I switch them to armed?

2 Likes

Flaps- flaps is your own preference depending on how much you are slowing down your speed I usually have full flaps before the 1,000ft callout
Gear- again is your own preference
Spoilers- usually you will arm your spoilers after you put down your gear

It’s all your own preference really, once you feel comfortable on final you can start doing everything during your final approach

6 Likes

I usually put flaps full right before I got established on final, so I don’t get more problems with flaps on final.

I put my gear down at 2,500 AGL

What? That’s pretty unusual, when turning into final you are usually way to fast for full flaps. And with the speeds full flaps are ok the whole final run takes ages, you won’t want to fly that slow that long way.
In addition most aircraft didn#t handle well with full flaps, and didn’t put them down before established on final, you cannot turn safely with full flaps with most aircraft.

When to set wich flaps state depends on aircraft weight and speed. If you are light enough to fly without full flaps at your landing speed there is no need to deploy them at all.
If you need full flaps at landing speed they would be the last thing to do before touch down, if I should name a distance I would say 1-2 nm from touchdown, but again, that depends on the airframe and it’s weight and it’s landing speed.

2 Likes

IRL, typically when the gear is put down, flaps are extended to 3 (Airbus) / 20 (Boeing) and often then pilots will reduce to final approach speed - putting flaps to FULL/30 as they do so.

1 Like

Ok, thanks!

For Flaps

Pilots almost always approaches the runway at 180 knots
Then when they are around 7-8Nm out, they turn down the speed slowly to there landing speed, and the flaps come out around then, then the gear at 2,500

1 Like

I used to do everything from full flaps to extend my landing gear at around 7nm, but I always tent to mess up everything which put into a rapid descent. After sometime with this configuration it was much easier. I don’t really care for what they do irl cause I know I don’t everything. I just do whatever is the best thing for and if it doesn’t do something that violentles the experts severs violations then I would prefer that instead of irl.

1 Like

From my experience most aircraft in if fly best the way they fly in real life. The Developers spend a lot of time to make them fly in IF most realistic.
When you look around in a airliner cockpit you will find a list with flap settings and their maximum speed, that usually fit if you are not overweight. Trust me, the fun starts when you do it right.

2 Likes

I only fly the A359 now in IF, but I used to fly the B77W.

As a general rule, I try to be quick on the approach as much as I can. But usually I start reducing from 230 knots to 180 knots at 5000ft. Do bear in mind that all the speeds below depend on the aircraft weight.

In my 77W, I usually start extending flaps, 1 to 15 depending on speed. I start putting flaps usually at 5000ft and end up at 3000ft at 180 knots with flaps 15. 2200ft - 2500ft is usually when my gear comes down. Flaps 20 once the gear is fully extended. Flaps full when I am at my going for my final approach speed.

In the A359, I usually do Flaps 1+F directly once I reach 3000ft at 180 knots. Then I slowly move down to flaps 2 at 160 kntos to 170 knots. I drop the gear at the similiar altitude and flaps 3 while the gear is extending. At this point I reduce to 150 knots. I drop to flaps full and drop the speed to 130 knots to 140 knots depending on weight.

Hope it helps :)

2 Likes

Let’s do like that according to my approach simulator based on real world data.If there is no traffic to make you adjust speed or ATC restriction;before 10 miles keep speed 210-220(assuming established) knots,passing 10 miles reduce to 180,approaching 6 miles reduce to 160,approaching 4 miles reduce to Vapp(this is the most general way,you may want early configuration or higer speed considering circumstances or approach type).This is the most efficient way for traffic flow and the airplane i believe.You can set your flaps according to this way can’t say about lowering gear .

For further:here and here,where you can pick up necessary info.

2 Likes

I apply full flaps when I have slowed down to my landing speed or when below 265kts IAS. I drop my gear at flaps 2 on the A320 family or when well established on final. Spoilers are armed when there is no longer any need for large speed reductions before landing. If you require large speed reductions, then your spoilers are marked as flight.

1 Like

see the diagram at the bottom of this post for a typical 737 flaps schedule on approach

2 Likes

No way.
Guys are you using flaps before landing 😩.

Just joking .
😂

1 Like