Approach question

I was flying a 767 east at 12000, heading for Ontario. The tower cleared me for landing on runway 08. I knew I wasn’t going to get down in time for straight in, so I decided to fly over the airport at 10000, then start my decent, making a turn to the left, making a pattern type approach, when I got the “follow instructions” message… My questions are…

Can’t the tower see my altitude, and should they realize why I’m doing what I’m doing?
Should I always prepare (altitude and speed) for a straight in approach?
If I can’t make the suggested runway, do I request another one if it’s available?
Anything else I should have done?

1 Like
  1. was this advanced?
  2. if there is no approach, it is your responsibility to ensure you will be ready if you request landing.
  3. you should have announced a go-around in this case :-)
2 Likes

Do 360s to get down to altitude. At least that’s what I do.

Was this on advanced? The controller is able to see your altitude, and should descend you to +3000 ft above the airport…

It was playground… 360’s sounds reasonable though. Go around would have worked too… Thanks

1 Like

I assumed it was my problem for waiting so long to request landing, but I thought I’d ask. :)

Announce your go around since you were to high and that should be sufficent. Yes tower can see your altitude. I’m assuming this was on playground. But just announce a go around and you should be fine.

I once approached much too fast on the advanced server. ATC told me to “execute missed approach” and had me then extend downwind before he lined me up again. Slightly embarrasing at that time, but that is what I would do if that or something alike happened again. And a Thank You for good ATC Service 👍😀

1 Like

Personally, if you see that there is no way for you to get down to ILS intercept altitude, do 360s way before contacting tower. Then, stabilize at a reasonable altitude, and continue inbound, then contact tower… If I see a plane requesting landing at 10000 feet, I’m going to wonder what the heck is going on. :)

Well based off experience from working at an airport you’re correct the tower can see information that you have put in the system which is known as a flight plan (this is real world and in infinite flight) what happened here is the controller didnt completely read your flight status( spd. Alt. hdg.) which is why you received the “please follow instructions” prompt but you’re also at fault as well because before performing procedures for your missed approach you didnt notify the controller of your intentions which also led to the confusion you chose one of the few RIGHT ways to do what you did! But you didnt notify and yes about changing the runway but it’s strictly up to the PIC if he wants to request runway change which really isnt always necessary especially in this case since you still had to dump altitude anyway another simple way is to put yourself in a holding pattern until you dump enough altitude to intercept the ILS but make sure you’re clear of the traffic pattern when doing so! Hope this helped!

It seems a bit odd that the Tower cleared you to land when still at 12,000ft?

I would echo some of the comments that if there is no approach online you need to manage your own descent so that you are at the right altitude as you approach the airport.

You never know what the pilot is gonna do. Many pilots on advanced and playground don’t fly real procedures. It’s a guessing game what the pilot is gonna do: Will he steep dive or go around and make right/left traffic? The controller is not really to blame here.

Absolutely wasn’t seeking to blame anyone, just curious. Is this generally what advanced ATC tower controllers are taught to do? Just seems very premature to clear someone to land when they have ~11,000 ft of descent still to do.

When you report position I would have thought just tell them to continue approach then clear them to land once around 8nm out if nothing else is around, or less if you have traffic taking off/vacating.

No. Advanced ATC use the command descend to pattern altitude to help the aircraft descend (pattern altitude is generally 3,000 AGL) Like those stated above, announcing a go around would have been your best option. It’s best to safely fly the aircraft than to force it down onto the runway unless it is an absolute emergency.