Approach Controller > Flight Plan

I’ve noticed when acting as ATC on the playground server that many pilots who have filled a flight plan like to stick to it and ignore approach controllers.

Filling a flight plan is the correct thing to do, so well done for that! But when many different players flight plans overlap how are they going to avoid collision? Well that is he approach controllers job!

The flight plan works when taking you to a quiet airport or to within the approach controllers coverage area. If an approach controller is available, they can guide you in to the runway by sequencing you (in order) and to avoid unrealistic collisions. I understand that many pilots feel like they have spent 5 minutes creating a good flight plan and being diverted from that is frustrating, but this is a realistic flight sim and by ignoring approach controllers you are cutting into sequences which makes other pilots and controllers experience harder. The approach is not diverting you completely off course but rather into line to make sure you’re not too close to other flights. Please pilots on the playground have trust in your controller and be prepared to ditch your flight plan upon arrival.

18 Likes

Well said, I completely agree!

2 Likes

I understand what you are saying and see your frustration, but I’ve run into soooo many incompetent approach controllers on the Playground that I always second guess and/or ignore their instructions. Safety is first and foremost the pilots responsibility! Approach should only be trusted on Advanced server in my opinion.

At least you are experiencing Playground pilots that file flight plans, that is an improvement!

1 Like

Playground is where we train even advanced controllers before the test. Always listen to the ATC.

5 Likes

I agree that sometimes approach controllers on the playground are not the best, but you must have patience and follow their instructions. They’re only practicing, and if everyone went by your logic then nobody would be able to train for advanced ATC if everyone ignored the playground ATC. Yes sometimes they may divert you in a different direction than you expected but follow it through and they will usually align you up for approach one way or another. It’s best to give them a chance and listen to them

I would if it was realistic command but telling me to head 180 when I’m heading to Birmingham is not so I tend to ignore them sometimes but only on playground

Shouldn’t second guess a controller that’s what can cause more problems. What would happen in the real world if pilots second guess ATC? Yes there are some incompetent approach controllers…however they are learning and they wont learn if people ignore them! As far as I know you can not don ATC Approach / Centre until you have some experience doing ATC on Ground / Tower frequencies first. Also as @Brandon_Sandstrom mentions sometimes the Advanced ATC are trained on the playground before testing for advanced server approach.

As an aside I tend to keep my flight plan up dated if Approach vector me off my original plan, mainly so I still know my ‘Distance to go’ so I can be at the correct height / speed for landing. Only once had an Approach guy vector me in too cut a corner but did by so much that I was too high and too fast when he said contact tower so had to do a 360 in order to lose same in order to land!

2 Likes

I get what y’all are saying, but the majority of approach controllers on the Playground don’t pass the smell test. A lot sign on, provide instructions, and leave or forget about you. Most get overwhelmed because of unrealistic volume of inbounds. However I realize that it is not their fault and they are learning. Approach controllers simply do not have the right tools to do their job effectively in IF. Until SIDs, STARs, and holding patterns get implemented, approach controllers on the Playground are going to remain untrustworthy.

My opinion is that the best thing a pilot on the Playground can do is prepare a realistic flight plan, follow their flight plan, fly slow approaches, and follow instructions when they are appropriate. Pilots in IF have a major situational awareness advantage over real life, the GPS maps with traffic.

3 Likes

agree that if / when SID and STARs etc are implemented then it would be much easier for both sides of the coin.

however if EVERY pilot on playground made a flight plan and decided to follow it no matter what ATC says or does then where will we be?

1 Like

Where the playground is now an absolute zoo

2 Likes

I do agree with this to some extent. There is an unrealistic amount of traffic into some airports and holding patterns would be a great addition to the command list. Flying approaches slowly doesn’t always work because in approaches such as San Clemente you get aircraft from the north at LAX, south from San Diego and straight in who all converge into the same flight path and take no knowledge of their surroundings and the planes entering the sequence next to them e.g. Won’t slow down if they notice a plane next to them (they probably don’t even notice). So this kind of shows that pilots left to their own guidance doesn’t always work out

3 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying disregard every instruction issued. There are just some that don’t make sense based on the situation. If it is logical and safe, there is no reason not to comply!

You guys are probably preaching to the choir here. This forum community represents such a small population amoung the entire IF world… I doubt that the pilots y’all have issues with will ever see this thread, and I’m sure that we would not have conflicts if I was flying in your airspace.

I just wish there was a way for pilots to provide feedback for controllers that are learning. This idea of “always follow ATC instructions” when the pilot <> ATC interface is still underdeveloped doesn’t benefit the learning environment of the controller.

3 Likes

Max Sez; Never forget the Pilot in Command (PIC) is the decision maker!
Controllers no matter how experienced they are “must” understand that.
Pilots when in doubt bail out! The following comm options apply if a Pilot opt out of a recovery during approach for any reason:: “Stand By” “Request Departure to the ####”!, “Thank you, Gooday”, last resort “Request Freq Chg” Should the Controller require you to “Remain on Freq” ect, rather than face a ghosting when on the Advance follow instructions, Reproduce the Comm sequence, identify the Controller from the Airfield Dara block and PM him.
Controllers on the Advanced are professional and reasonable folk they routinely will respond. The Playground Controllers are free agent they are unsupervised and most do not have mailing addresses, so just ignore them fly to an alternate and continue the March!

3 Likes

I completely agree that about 90% of the players this is targeted at probably don’t have a clue what the IF community site is. Most players that use the forums are more respective during the game

2 Likes

I remember the bad old days when you could ‘rate’ controllers! Alwys thought that was a useful tool, but can understand how it could be misused!

2 Likes

You are correct max the PIC is in charge of his aircraft the controller is in charge of his airspace. Continuing inbound into a controlled airspace and disregarding controller instruction is not how the game works, by game I mean flight. As the PIC you have the option to divert but that doesn’t not give you the right to ignore instructions while in a controlled airspace.

1 Like

Even without the 90%, it still makes for a good conversation!! Hopefully I was able to provide some IF pilot perspective to consider. There is definitely frustrating on both sides, but ultimately we are a single community. Gotta run for now… Thank you for keeping it classy gentleman!

3 Likes

What if I want to divert but the controller keeps vectoring me back to the airport? If I want to escape I will punch it and gtfo!

2 Likes

@AR_AR… Yesterday out of the springs on the Advanced change my mind on a final destination just after launch, requested Freq Chr, Departure changed me back to the Springs Tower, Springs Tower kept me on his freq. Had to return to the Springs PO. typical Senario. The Comm menu needs work! Max

3 Likes

Max I fully agree with you here, you are right.

1 Like