Approach Contact Distance

I was about 50 miles away from the airport and inbound for landing. At this point I still could not contact Approach which was kind of strange because usually I can contact it way earlier. Can anyone tell my why it was unable?
Bild

It normal is 50 nm out. In your case when where you able to contact approach? If you have contacted them yet

The Dist To Dest goes off of your flight plan distance so you may be further than you think. Just get a little closer and it should show up.

1 Like

I got the message from Approach „You’re in an active airspace, please contact … approach on … then I could tune in

1 Like

I noticed this earlier. I was on direct to the airport and could not contact until 40nm out. Usually I can contact 60-65nm out, but never only appearing less than 60nm out. Made it more difficult to get into the conga line.

1 Like

Approach’s airspace extends out in a 50nm ring with a 18,000ft AAL ceiling. That was an error on the controller’s part. You should never be contacting approach when you are not in their airspace.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.