Approach/Center and Descent

Good evening!

I had a little question which I couldn’t find the answer on the Infinite Flight guide.

When there’s both a center and an approach frequency, I suppose that, at your TOD, you must request a descent on the approach frequency if you’re below FL180 and center if you’re at or above. But when you descend and you end up below FL180, you have to switch the frequency to approach.

My question was: do you have to request again a descent to the approach frequency or not?

I apologize in advance for my lack of knowledge about that. I joined IF less than 2 weeks ago!

Thanks in advance for your help!
Ryan

2 Likes

When on center frequency, you should request a descent via your STAR 10nm or at least 1 minute before your TOD. When handed off to Approach, there is no need to request a STAR descent as your STAR can be seen by all controllers!

Once handed to approach, you request an approach service at your destination. Hope this helps!

12 Likes

That helps a lot, thanks!

I just have two more questions, hope those won’t disturb you!

1. I use Simbrief (fpltoif) to make my flight plans and, sometimes, the STAR they mention don’t exist in Infinite Flight when I use PROC > Departure or Arrival. How do I descend then if I still want to follow my FPL?

2. What do you mean by ‘approach service’ ?

Thank you very much for helping me!

If you have a flight plan that doesn’t include an official STAR in the game, you can simply request an altitude change with the controller!

By requesting an approach service, you are requesting an approach at your destination. For example, “requesting an ILS approach for runway 06R”, or “requesting a visual approach for runway 25L”. Additionally, you can request Flight Following or Radar Vectors to your destination if you don’t want to be cleared for an approach.

More information can be found in the ATC Communication section of the User Guide! :)

3 Likes

Alright, I will take a look at it once again. Again, thank you for your clear answers! I have no more questions.

Have a great day!

1 Like

In this case, Toaster’s statement wouldn’t apply because the app does not allow you to request descent via a STAR if you don’t have a published STAR filed. Jared is correct – if you’re using a STAR that doesn’t exist in the app (or don’t have one filed for whatever reason), request an altitude change when it comes time for you to descend.

4 Likes

I’d like to clarify that what I said was in reference to if you have an official STAR but the STAR has no altitudes. What Jared is saying (which is totally correct by the way) is for if you don’t have a STAR at all. In which case, you can either request an altitude change, or, if you’re in the airspace for your destination airport’s FIR, simply request your desired approach.

1 Like

Oh, misunderstood It. My apologies :)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.