Approach Autopilot

Just a question for everyone in general, I was just curious of how everyone likes to land :)

1-Do you use autoland or manually fly it in?

2-And if you fly in manually, when do you usually disconnect Autopilot and fly in the aircraft?

For me, it’s whenever I’m stable and established on the localiser and glideslope but I keep the speed on until around 1000ft.

1 Like

Always manually, even in very poor conditions. It’s good fun.

I usually hand fly from around 2,500 feet AGL down.

1 Like

I used APPR for the approach; but will do a manual landing

If there is ILS on the runway, I will use ILS until 800-1000fts AGL (not in terrible weather); next, disconnect the AP (HDG and ALT only); then, disconnect the speed AP at 200-300fts AGL and touchdown.
If there is no ILS, usually, I will disconnect AP (HDG and ALT only) around 2000-2500fts AGL; and disconnect speed AP at 200-300fts AGL.
In the case with low visibility, I usually disconnect AP with a lower altitude (it depends on the visibility but around 500fts AGL).
In the case with terrible wind conditions, I might disconnect AP earlier to give myself more time for feeling the control.

I am 100% sure when the airline pilot disconnects the AP in realistic, it may be around 1000-1500ft or have other concerns?

2 Likes
  1. I usually autoland, but sometimes, I land manually (It doesn’t go very well).
  2. I usually disconnect the autopilot anywhere from 1000-2500 feet AGL.
3 Likes

I’m a bit more unrealistic…

I fly almost exclusively ILS approaches, and usually do a full autoland.

I also usually fly while working, so taking the time to handle thrust reversers, braking, taxiing, and doing the shutdown checklists is about what i can manage.

If I’m not working, I’ll fly almost anything. RNAV, ILS, visuals, full hands-on, it just depends.

2 Likes

Rarely use auto land, usually in very bad visibility situations only. Manual is also more fun and it feels really good when you butter your landing after a 13 hour flight.

My autopilot stays on till I’m about to intercept the localizer. I don’t like leaving it to like up as the AP usually overshoots it and has to do a reversal. I’ll turn off HDG and ALT before then speed at the 1000 callout.

1 Like

depends on weather for me

1 Like

1: I used to use autoland more, but now I only use it on a hard plane, or when the going gets rough,
2: when I enter the “triangle” on the map, or when the glideslope aids come on.

1 Like

I fly all my flights 100% manual from start to finish. I never use APPR mode even in the lowest possible visibility. Autopilot is for losers! Am I cool yet?

2 Likes

Really, man @AvioesEJogos can do this too.

in all seriousness, that still is cool!

2 Likes

When I am using APPR I disconnect autopilot When I reach 800 Feet (not in very poor visibility)
In poor visibility I will use only APPR and will not disconnect autopilot until we have touchdown on the runway
But I prefer Visual approaches more its just a fun to fly.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever used APPR, the latest i have the autopilot on is when i’m aligned with the localizer and about to intercept the glideslope. From there I prefer hand flying because the AP pitch control goes crazy once flaps start extending.

2 Likes

If the Airport has ILS and visibility is questionable I use APPR and disconnect about 1500-1000 feet above the ground.If visibility is nonexistent I let APPR take me down to 500.If the airport has no ILS or weather is great I’ll hand fly it the whole final.

1 Like

To add on to mine, if the visibility is low, and the place has no ils, then i’ll divert

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.