Approach(APPR) function only active when gear is lowered

Sometimes when I’m flying and at my cruising altitude. I sometimes misclick and hit APPR for instance at 20k feet and then your aircraft takes a nose dive and all autopilot presets are deactivated. Also, I always fly near MLW so APPR shouldn’t be an option for me anyways.

Therefore, I request that the APPR button can only be clicked and lowered when gear is activated and when aircraft is not near MLW

5 Likes

I personally wouldn’t like this. Only if you aren’t on ILS then you can’t activate it to me. Personal Preference. Although i do have landing gear down before i activate APPR

4 Likes

Right, but it’s frustrating when you are at 20k feet and you accidently click APPR and you take a nose dive and really messes everything up. For realistic purposes, i say we add it. We can’t activate the reversers in infinite flight for realistic purposes it should be the same way for the APPR function.

1 Like

I do agree with that

Solution: DON’T CLICK THE APPR BUTTON

7 Likes

Mmmmmmm bah… I would like this mmm… Bah I feel like this is needed. mmmmm Bah… I say this would be helpful … mmmmm Bah It should work like the reversers… mmmmm Bah I like saying Bah

5 Likes

I disagree. In reality, pilots that are using autopilot to follow the approach usually don’t lower the gear until ~7nm away, but the autopilot can still be engaged.

If you are using appr you should be in conditions where you want to configure early anyway to reduce workload on final. So capture ILS, configure for landing, activate appr.

3 Likes