APPR Mode crashing plane into ground

Whenever I use the APPR mode my plane starts descending rapidly on approach (not stalling) and crashes into the ground before the runway or it stays on the altitude that the autopilot is set at even if I’m on the ILS Localizer. What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it

1 Like

Which settings have you for the A/P before activating APPR?

I’m pretty sure you still have control of the vertical speed while doing this so maybe try adjusting that.

With APPR the V/S (Vertical Speed) is controlled by the A/P (autopilot).

Seems that this is not entirely true during the activation phase from what I take out of @TaipeiGuru‘s Post.

1 Like

Look at tutorials. It explains how not to make APPR pitch you up or down.

3 Likes

Check to make sure your vertical speed isn’t too low. There’s been times when I’ve had it as low as -2500 fpm and the plane just wouldn’t stick to the glide slope. You don’t need to have it at 0, but try not to have it be super steep either.

2 Likes

…or it stays on the altitude that the autopilot is set at even if I’m on the ILS Localizer.

The most common cause of this behavior has to do with being above the glide slope when engaging APPR.

2 Likes

Have your VS set to 0 and be somewhere in the area of 2500-3000Ft AGL when entering the ILS cone. Your plane should lock the glide slope.

2 Likes

I usually fly into the airport straight in and when I am established on the localiser and have a steady decent around -500 to -800 I press APPR then the plane will auto align itself and will land

Same issue with me, when I used the APPR mode for landing the A321-231 British Airways in Heathrow, it wanted me to land in the ground.