APPR landing with a too high VS

I Noticed that when I land with APPR the back of the plane is literally touching the ground. Please give an explanation for this.

2 Likes

Sounds like your speed is too low so you when you flare you end up stalling

First off, Welcome to the community! Here are a few things to help you get started.

Now, what exactly is your speed when you land?

2 Likes

As was mentioned, this is almost certainly a problem with you setting your speed too slow. APPR flies the plane, but it is up to you to correctly set the speed in order to enable a safe a proper approach and landing. Depending on the plane you are flying and your configuration, your approach nose attitude should be anywhere between 0 and 4 degrees (a little below the first line on the HUD), with some mainly-GA exceptions. The flare should be smooth and natural coming out of this, whether it is automated or hand-flown.

Keep in mind the length of the aircraft, the length of the landing gear (which is also its on-ground height), and your expected flare angle, and leave some room for error. I know it sounds complicated, so to sum it up: just increase your speed and go with what works best.

2 Likes

For reference:

The smaller commercial planes you should be landing at no less than 130kts.

Larger planes - no less than 140-145kts

This is obviously dependent on your weight when landing

1 Like

Hey there! There’s a very informative post on how to use APPR correctly to avoid this. Take a look at the topic I included below.
Happy landings!

You need to land at a faster speed. Check your angle of attack on the HUD on final. It shouldn’t be over like 3 degrees

Thanks so much, but I would like to verify is a speed of 180 - 190 good for a
787-10 aircraft

No that’s way too fast, In between 155-145 knots is usually the speed I land the 787.

1 Like

Use flaps for a lower angle of attack on approach. You should be at full flaps at your final approach speed which will be around 130-145 depending on weight.

Make sure you aren’t overweight either

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.